register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What breeds (In General) do you prefer?
good old fashioned crossbreeds/mongrels 3 7.69%
Pedigreed but Non KC reg'd breeds 10 25.64%
KC regd breeds 20 51.28%
Rare breeds (Import register) 0 0%
Rare breeds/Imported breeds (non KC reg or Import reg) example FCI or AKC reg 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 06:01 PM

Non KC breeds on the increase?

Is it just me or is there an increase of New and Non KC breeds in this country?
My theory on this is that people in general are fed up with many of the breeds available today, and the health problems which a lot of them suffer and they are looking to little known foreign breeds, working breeds, and new crossbreeds to give them what they feel is lacking in todays dog breeds.
There has been an influx of new breeds into the UK and I have to admit I like quite a lot of them, compared with some of the great breeds we once had but now appear to have ruined by breeding for the showring (examples Bulldog, Bull terrier, German shepherd, to name just a few) This country actually seems to be famous for making breeds into over exaggerted charicatures of their former functional selves

Anyway, my question is what breeds (generally speaking ) do you prefer? Do you think KC reg is worth the paper its written on? or do you feel like Emma Milne and others that to buy a pedigree is to waste your money and you would be better off buying a crossbreed if you want a healthy and active dog?

PS Dont bother asking me any questions etc, I am only starting this debate cos I am fed up with all the white boxer and staffie ones and so I thought Id start this one so everyone can argue about something different for a change, Im not coming back to join in lol lol lol
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 06:07 PM
not even getting involved in this one
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 08:21 PM
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 08:39 PM
watch out Archer, your eyes will get sore if you keep rolling them like that
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 09:40 PM
...no seeee.....no problems!!
CBT
Dogsey Senior

23-02-2005, 10:06 PM
:smt003 :smt003
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Me niether Lel.

From a non KC registered pedigree owner
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I have given up heated debates for lent instead of chocolate
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 09:44 AM
i love debates (no i am kidding)

My PERSONAL opinion is that if i felt safe about taking any dog, i would choose a german shephard. I think they are the king of dogs, obiedent, agile, fun and outgoing (like me!) However i am absolutly scared to death of the health problems i have seen so many going about with. It breaks my heart to see a six month old puppy with hip dysplasia, and of course this is not confined to this breed, although i personally have seen alot of sheps with this problem.

As for the KC i believe it was started with the best intentions, but as with most clubs, politics take over eventually. I dont believe KC reg is worth the paprt its written on, and here is my reasoning: as i have been involved in rescue i have seen more than once a dog handed in with 'papers'. i remember one in particular, a bassett hound which looked very ill (it was infact a badly bred, but well taken care of b'hound). Baileys papers revealed that she was two years old (the vet confiremd this) and that her father was a famous basset champ, who had died 12 years previous, and could never have sired her or her litter. Now at the time i thought everything of the KC, they were the reining body of the dog world, and it shook my world, to discover that papers could be made up so easily, to look like real KC papers. of course chekcing with the KC would reveal that this wasnt a registered pup, but someone bought this dog...other people are buying them, and possilby breeding them. The KC have no real control over who breeds and who doesnt, and there the problem starts, with breeders who dont know genetics, and screw with nature.

So going back to what i said, i would love a german shephard pup, absolutly adore one. but i would never ever buy one, as i would be terrified of the problems that may appear. you never really know what you are getting. (of course same goes for mongrels...but there is a much much lower possiblilty)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »