View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I love poodles too, I think they're amazing dogs that are often underestimated. I prefer them 'au naturel' though and not clipped into weird shapes.
The FCI has 4 official sizes of Poodles:
Grosspudel (Standard)
Kleinpudel (Medium sized, doesn't exist in the KC I believe)
Zwergpudel (Miniature)
Toy Pudel (toy poodle, obvs).

My favourite ones are the medium sized ones, I guess it's just the size of dog I prefer in general
I can understand how breeders get annoyed at people wanting to breed their dogs with other breeds.. No need for it really.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 12:58 PM
I've met lots of toy poodles over the years and every one I have met has been gorgeous
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
Different countries have different definitions, but the Kennel Club sizes are: under 11 inches at the shoulder - Toy

11-15 inches- Miniature

Over 15 inches - Standard (though that would be an extremely small standard - most are a lot bigger than that).

I think Germany has a size inbetween Miniature and Standard, and of course inevitably there are poodles described as teacup, or oversized ones called Royal or King Standards, but they aren't proper terms - so if I saw a litter described like that I'd know it wasn't a very good breeder!

Well I never knew the biggest size was over 15 inches, not that I know a lot about poodles, except when I lived in south London the pet shop in Welling had about 5 big black ones behind the counter and they were huge, easily about 30" to the shoulder.
I also used to meet a bloke walking two poodles in the woods they were both standards but one was a good 6" taller than the other. I do like the ones some people refer to as Royals or King. I guess they need to differentiate them somehow cos if you were expecting a 15" dog and ended up viewing 30" dogs you'd get a bit of a shock
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
The breeder of my first Standard poodle was used to people finding them much bigger than they expected! She asked us to wait, and then let a couple of very big and very bouncy males out - and as they were in show clip with the huge mane they looked even bigger than they were! We passed the test and didn't flinch, so we were allowed to order a puppy!
Canine K9
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-12-2013, 03:39 PM
I`d love a poodle! I love the oodles too but would rather get a poodle, although I hate the show cuts I must admit !
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 04:35 PM
My husband lives in dread of me getting Pepe done in a show clip. I once had him done in a Miami (short body but with pom poms on the legs) - I thought he looked magnificent but my husband was horrified.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
I do like the Standard Poodles and have never come across a nasty one but nowadays you're more likely to see more crosses than a purebred and those owners ask groomers "not to make them look 'poodle-y', hello!!!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread it makes me smile ...

Poodle People lol!

Could have used a bit more alliteration and said ...

Pity Poodle People!
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
I used to have a lot of fun with alliteration when Pepe was a puppy and call him things like Pepe the Perfect Posh Poodle Puppy.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
I used to have a lot of fun with alliteration when Pepe was a puppy and call him things like Pepe the Perfect Posh Poodle Puppy.
My CKCS's pedigree name was PRINCESS POLLYANNA POPPET lol! She was just Charlie all her life to us!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >