Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 04:33 PM

City, Town, Country?

Do you think all breeds of dog are suited to adapting to life in a city, the town or the country?

I ask because in a certain dog magazine there are facts about dog breeds each month and one of the questions is would that particular breed adapt to city/town living and occasionally the answer is no.

My own feeling is that, given the right amount of stimulation, exercise, company, conditioning and training, then most (if not all) breeds could happily live in a city or town home.

If they are like me, then they would PREFER to live in a very rural home , but of course that isn't always possible for dog or owner

Also, as an owner do you live in the town or the country? Which do you prefer for yourself? For your dog?

Just a topic to liven Dogsey up a bit, without being too controversial
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I think all dogs are individuals, some breeds do need more exercise than others, but in the right home in a city they could do quite well, in a wrong home in the country they could be bored stiff,

its all about confinement really, some town dogs may be less confined that a country dog, and vise versa,

I think the more apt question for me is,.........do dogs enjoy walking on busy roads?
For my lot thats a NO, they do it but dont get much out of it.

I have the best of both worlds I guess, I live in a town/village but have loads of great dog walks near by, a field at the back of the house {dougies house lol} I also have landowner friends,
but even if I didnt I can jump in the car and make it to a beach, woods, whatever in 20min drive time.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I think every dog is different - what suits one won't suit another. I think every dog loves companionship and exercise and some form of mental stimulation.

My first jack Spotty would have hated the countryside. She hated getting her paws wet - she would walk around puddles and refuse to cross the doorstep when it rained. Mud - that was the living end ! We'd take her on trips, but the countryside was the pits to her. She loved the car park on Looe harbour, where she could chase seagulls off the concrete all day long

Missy has lived in suburb and now semi rural. She has been quite happy in both, but a different side to her character has come out now we walk on a farm. No running like a loon or interest in a ball.. its straight away nose down and sniff and trot.

When I was younger I preferred city, now I am older, I cherish country.
Missy I think prefers country, Spotty would have preferred city.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 05:49 PM
My dad lived in the middle of London with his CKCS. However, they spent most of their time roaming round Richmond Park - so I imagine his dog got to more open spaces than many a country dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I don't think it makes the slightest difference. The thing that makes a difference to any dog is the owner.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 06:15 PM
i live in cardiff which i HATE, iam a country Girl, dont think the dogs suffer at all, they still get their runs in the counrtyside etc,
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I live in a town but with plenty of access to the countryside. At the end of the cul de sac are fields, a river and a canal so i'm never far away. There also happens to be the M1 half a mile away, lol!

The further away from a town I can be, the better i'd like it. My dogs are country breeds and it would be a shame if they never saw a field full of cows, a forest or had the pleasure of chasing rabbits. But I guess as long as a dog is stimulated enough, any breed should be happy living anywhere.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:45 PM
My dogs have all grown up in West London so it's what they know and they are used to it. We are lucky to live in leafy Ealing so there are 3 good sized parks within walking distance and many more a short drive away.

They do enjoy it when we visit my folks in Wiltshire or go to the beach in Suffolk but actually they are sometimes more restricted in those places as they have to be on lead because of livestock or ground nesting birds - don't get either of those in Ealing's parks!

I don't claim to know enough about them but I would wonder if a bouncy, busy breed like a Springer would find enough to stimulate it in an urban setting? I'm sure a dedicated responsible owner (like the ones on Dogsey ) would manage fine but would someone who didn't know what they were getting into struggle more with such a dog in a town or city?

J.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Don't think it matters, as long as you give the dog, the best that you can give.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 09:43 PM
i live in the country and wouldnt live anywhere else i love it saying that im sure daph would cope perfectly fine in a town or city, although i think any dog would as long as the owner gives it everything it needs then i dont think your housing matters
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >