Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
they obviously never heard of vaseline then ? you put it on the door handles to keep the kids out !
I'm so glad you explained what to do with that vaseline, as my brain started to work overtime of a split second there. LOL!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I have trouble remembering 1 week ago never mind 20 odd years. But I would say it was either "the twits" or "george's marvelous medicine"
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
thanks for that, i still have the book somewhere in the house. probably filed under archives !!
Told you all what a hoarder he is!!!!!!
Anyway the first book I can remember reading was Heidi. But the first book that I can remember getting as a gift for xmas, apart from the Broons and Oor Wullie,was The Man in the Iron Mask.Do you think my parents got a bit mixed up somewhere along the line?????
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't remember my first book I read. But the first book I remember reading that affected me was Jayne Eyre I thought it was realy scary. Even when I see the film now it makes me feel uneasy. Don't know why that one had such an effect on me though.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 08:39 AM
The first book I read I am sure was the cherry tree family, this was when i was at school, but it may have been the Tiger who came to tea which I just got out of the library but every time I took it back I took it straight out again!!! Then my pal bought me it for my 18th Birthday (as a joke!!!)

The first sort of adult/teenage book ie one without pictures I read was shadow the sheepdog _ loved that book, it was my mums and I still have it somewhere.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 10:16 AM
It probably wasn't the first book I read (I don't remember what that was!) but the one that I loved most and read over and over again was Charlotte's Web I bought it at my primary school fete when I was about 8.

My Mum found my old copy and now reads it to my nieces
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
Oh har har Colin...Grrr. Awa' an bile yer heid.
Dinnae send Colin these Scottish phrases EL. It was bad enough trying to get him to grips wi B*wB*g:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Monica Dickens... the "Jill" pony books... I was horse mad .... and The Borrowers.
I had a nostalgic moment in a charity shop last week when I saw a "Jill" book, nearly bought it....
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 03:08 PM
We always had books, so can't remember exactly which I read first. Grimm's Fairy Tales and also the Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Anderson were certainly among the first and then Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott and then the What Katy Did books and Heidi..............
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I can remember The far away tree by Enid Blyton being read to us in class when i was in year 1, but the frist one i read i think was Called The Sleep over club don't know who wrote it.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >