Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2006, 09:17 AM

BT in Corrie!

Did anyone see the Border Terrier in Corrie last night? Loved the way she came in, in Blanches' bag. Looks so much like Harvey too.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 10:24 AM
I am afraid this has caused major upset in the Border world and is something that is not nice. Portraying the breed as an aggressive dog does nothing for breed promotion or anything else. It is generally thought that anyone who genuinely cares about their breed would not wish their dog to be used to promote bad temperament.
Dawn.
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Personally I took that bit in good humour as I think it was intended (from corries point of view) It was very obvious the dog itself didn't go for Ken as at that point you didn't see the dog only heard the sound of a dog. (As you say not in a BT nature to be aggressive) In the previous scenes he was seen being cuddled etc by the other members of the family and was as docile as you would expect a BT to be. I'm sure people genuinely interested in BT.s would have more sense then to take a scene from this as gospel to a Bt's temperment.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Corrie, by its very nature, is light-hearted family entertainment which reflects everyday life (albeit exaggerated and packed into 30 mins).

I think the fact that the dog was portrayed as aggressive to Ken is really a send-up, to start a bit of a war between Blanche and her son-in-law. Most viewers will see it that way and I doubt many of them even know the breed of the dog. But I do take your point Dawn, however I don't think it will contribute to any lasting damage to the reputation of BTs.

I think Blanche is hilarious by the way
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I didn't see it myself but from what has been said, I think anyone who takes something shown on a tv soap, and generalises it to the whole breed....

....well they wouldn't be very clever lets put it that way!

I can see your concerns Dawn, i'd feel the same if it was one of my breeds, I know it has more affect when it's something close to your heart, but I honestly can't see peoples interpretations for the whole breed being constructed by one dog on a soap.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't think it will contribute to any lasting damage to the reputation of BTs.
It already has Katrina, TV has a LOT to answer for regarding the rescue situation of Border Terriers. Films like "Something about Mary" and the "Walls" advert had major implications for the breed, 2 Border Terriers attacking people! Did nothing to help at all, resulting in many people giving up dogs "in case"
Dawn.