Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 10:35 AM

Can anyone recommend a good book

My friends and I have recently set up a book club (an excuse for a get together, a few drinks and a chat really ) The first book we read was "The secret life of bees" which I was unable to put down and couldn't recommend highly enough. Now I am currently reading "The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite" which is also very good.

So we all have to take a turn to recommend a book and host the night so here's my problem I can't think of a book to recommend for the ladies. Help! Just looking up the top 10 list has anyone heard of The House at Riverton? It looks promising

Thanks guys

Nic
carleyaves
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2009, 10:45 AM
well anything by Kathy Reichs if the ladies like forensics and crime.... if you are looking for something a bit lighter " the girls" by Lori Lansens. it is a lovely, heart warming story about conjoined twins. my mum and i both read it and found it funny as well as moving.

also Martina Cole's " the Take" (currently dramatised on sky one; as usual book is far, far better). couldn't put it down, gripping.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Oh great thanks for those. Yeah "The Take" looks like a real possibility x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I go to a Book group and I just read One fine day in the middle of the night by Christopher Brookymyre which is about a group of glaswegians going to their school reunion with a bit of a twist - its a dark funny book.

We also read The kite runner and a thousand splendid suns although they are quite heavy and certainly not funny ones - but good books none the less.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 11:50 AM
The Island by Victoria Hislop is good. Would also go with The kite runner and thousand splendid suns.

If you want to have a debate about current moral issues such as assisted suicide, having a genetically engineered child to help an existing child check out Jodi Picoult.

For more reading and extracts the www.ilovereading.co.uk site is fab.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 11:53 AM
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, wondful read, couldn't put it down.

Elaine xx
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2009, 11:54 AM
The Art of racing in the rain by Garth Stein its a story told from a dogs point of veiw, it was recommended on here some time ago and I bought a copy, and its great, apologies to whoever recommended it, I've forgotton who did, but well worth a read.Also I haven't read this one yet, but it sounds fab and its also been recommended, "Water for elephants" by Sara Gruen.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Berger;1715666]My friends and I have recently set up a book club (an excuse for a get together, a few drinks and a chat really ) The first book we read was "The secret life of bees" which I was unable to put down and couldn't recommend highly enough. Now I am currently reading "The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite" which is also very good.

So we all have to take a turn to recommend a book and host the night so here's my problem I can't think of a book to recommend for the ladies. Help! Just looking up the top 10 list has anyone heard of The House at Riverton? It looks promising

Thanks guys

posted before I finished reading your whole thread. that'll teach me

It's wonderful well written, adventure, love, death, hate everything spans 3 generations
I reccomend this book!!!!!

I have a copy if you want me to send it to you, save buying one

Elaine x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Try The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. The first few chapters are slow moving, but after that it picks up. I could not put it down; well worth a read.

I have also recently read Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup. I read the book before the film (and preferred the book to the film) and it is excellent. It is not a particularly large book in terms of length and should only take a few days if you are a quick reader.

My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult is another good'un (but sad...have your tissues at the ready!).

Or if you want to step back in time a bit, try In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. One of my favorite books ever; gripping, and you won't be able to put it down.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 01:10 PM
[quote=elaineb;1715708]
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
My friends and I have recently set up a book club (an excuse for a get together, a few drinks and a chat really ) The first book we read was "The secret life of bees" which I was unable to put down and couldn't recommend highly enough. Now I am currently reading "The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite" which is also very good.

Thanks guys

posted before I finished reading your whole thread. that'll teach me

It's wonderful well written, adventure, love, death, hate everything spans 3 generations
I reccomend this book!!!!!

I have a copy if you want me to send it to you, save buying one

Elaine x

Ah Elaine thank a million for the offer but they have it at my local library which is where I saw it.

Thanks for all the replies I have seen some of these titles i.e The Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns but I think they are a little too heavy for my taste. I like sad but not that sad

Thanks again keep the suggestions coming xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >