Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 11:31 AM

Travelling collar

Can anyone tell me what collar would be best for Lottie and Dougal in the car? I know that the law says that they have to have id on in the car so I thought instead of having there walking collars I could buy them a very light little collar and a little tag. But should I get them just a light collar or a rolled leather or something like that. Also where would it be best to get one from? Thanks

Sarah xxxx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Why do you need special collars? I would have thought their ordinary collars would be suitable. If you are travelling for long distances you need to let them out for breaks occasionally so you would need their 'walking' collars on at those times and surely would not want the bother of changing collars? If they are in the car for short distances then why go to the expense of purchasing 'car' collars

Or is it just an excuse to buy your lovelies new collars
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Also if the worst happens and you need to get them out quick their walking collars would be safer than trying to change out of the lighter collars.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 11:53 AM
We have just bought a seatbelt-harness for archie in the car cos he likes to stick his head out the window and I hate to think what would happen if I have to brake hard and he's got his head out the window

I will probably attach an ID disc to the harness, although he can wear his normal collar while it's on...
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I had a seat-belt harness for Jas. It also doubled as a walking harness so all you had to do was unclip the seatbelt and away to go
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:12 PM
We just leave her normal collar on, she freaks if you take it off anyway. Like a piece of jewellry LOL
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:26 PM
When mine travel in cages, they never wear a collar, there was a Dalmatian hanged accidentally (it died) when the collar was caught up in the cage. In the van, Polly is loose on the back bunk bed and Polo is on his harness in the passenger seat so they can wear them..... but in the car they are caged so no collars!

Gill
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Why do you need special collars? I would have thought their ordinary collars would be suitable. If you are travelling for long distances you need to let them out for breaks occasionally so you would need their 'walking' collars on at those times and surely would not want the bother of changing collars? If they are in the car for short distances then why go to the expense of purchasing 'car' collars

Or is it just an excuse to buy your lovelies new collars

I wanted to get them a lighter thinner collar for in the car cause they don’t like their walking collars on all the time and they make their neck itchy if they have them on for too long. When we travel long distance, which we do a lot and it’s the reason why I want to get them some lighter collars, I don’t mind changing their collars when we need to stop. And I wouldn’t use them for short distances it’s just for longer distances.

And yes it is just an excuse to spend them money!!!!

sarah xxxxx
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by spotsmad
When mine travel in cages, they never wear a collar, there was a Dalmatian hanged accidentally (it died) when the collar was caught up in the cage. In the van, Polly is loose on the back bunk bed and Polo is on his harness in the passenger seat so they can wear them..... but in the car they are caged so no collars!

Gill
Well the law says that they have to have id on them in the car and also our car is set out so that the dogs are right next to me. So if they did get caught i could sort them out straight away.

sarah xxxxx
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Julie
Also if the worst happens and you need to get them out quick their walking collars would be safer than trying to change out of the lighter collars.
But what i would do them is just clip their collar over their car collars. They are both trained to have their collars put on without any fuss.

sarah xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >