Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Chico
people do breed them actually, I have seen breeders advertising long haired akitas in my local paper. There are no health faults associated with the long coat gene so I dont suppose the dogs will be any less akitas than the short coated ones. I find it odd that you say "thankfully" no one is breeding them? why should coat colour or length etc matter if someone just wants a dog as a pet?
not everyone wants a perfect show dog, in fact the majority of people who buy a puppy want a family pet. I dont see anything wrong with longcoated akitas or german shephereds etc but of course if you can take a rescue dog instead of buying apuppy then this is a great idea as there are thousands of dogs out there, all coat types and colours and lengths etc that need homes.
The fact is that when people breed solely for one thing that is not common within a breed then other priorities (such as health,temperament and conformation)go out of the window....very sad but unfortunatley true.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I haven't seen one, but those pictures are gorgeous. :smt007
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by cuzbull
There is pictures of long coated akita's here:
http://www.stecal.com/longcoats.htm

i also think they are gorgeous.....love the pic of cova
Awww thank you for the link! they are gorgeous!!! Thanks

sarah xxxxx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Think they look much like Sammies and although they are attractive they loose everything that says 'I am an Akita' under all that hair.

Lets hope no one does start breeding for coat alone when there are a number of Spitz that would fill the bill for those who like fluffy and the breed needs attention to other maters for breeders to be contemplating such a thing.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2