Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I got her book a couple of years ago
Opend and started reading with great interest
Then realied what a load of tosh she was spouting, he reasoning why things were working was all wrong, she dosent understand dogs and is confusing them with her silly rules

Really what dog lover can ignore their dog for days on end?
What dog is going to realise that he is being ignored for not recaling 5 days ago?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Just noticed that in another thread Jan Fennell was mentioned. As it happens I'm just reading one of her books. Am really interested as to what other folk think of her...?

Specifically: what do you make of her idea that if your dog ignores the 'come' command, the owner should then ignore the dog, sometimes for days at a time it seems...?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
I'm reading one of her books too, it's 'A Dog's Best Friend' but I dont agree with all her theories. Yes, she advocates fair handling of your dog, positive reinforcement and treating the dog as a sentient, intelligent being. However, I do not agree with her notion that you have to eat before your dogs, go through doors before them etc. She seems to put every canine problem down to the fact that the dog has taken the leadership role and cannot cope. To me, this is poppycock.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Only read the first post.

Generally the techniques are based around using deprivation to increase a dogs motivation for something.
In other words you give the dog radically less attention and the dog becomes way more attention orientated.
Same princple as giving a dog less feed to make it more foody!

This is an effective (ish) approach and one that most training will use to a certain extent, she has simply taken it further into the lifestyle approach and added cool labels ect.

Does it work (all that matters imo) yes to a certain extent but much depends on your dog and you (its a hard technique to apply consitently, and most owners won't) It can certainly make a dog more motivated by your attention and more focused on you and can be effective for ott behaviours.

I havn't seen it work for other stuff though and its not something I bother with myself.

Adam
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Only read the first post.
And not the books either, I can tell. I fail to see how you can make any valid comment on this thread.... do at least give us the satisfaction you know what it's about, before giving us your learned views.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks LEANNE & ADAM & BEN

I appreciate everyone's responses

BEN - I totally agree with you, I don't understand how JF can think some poor dog will know *why* it's being ignored five days later! Seems rather cruel and personally I couldn't ignore my dog for ten mins, let alone five days!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
And not the books either, I can tell. I fail to see how you can make any valid comment on this thread.... do at least give us the satisfaction you know what it's about, before giving us your learned views.
that's a bit harsh and lacking in any basis.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
that's a bit harsh and lacking in any basis.
OK sorry... it's just that Adam said he hadn't read the whole thread, and from what he did write I wasn't sure he knew about JF. Fair comment?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2011, 12:18 AM
fair enugh, but i couldnt see why your comment was relevant,

adam didnt need to have read the rest of the thread, the first post contained the question to which he answered and the info to which he interpreted.

twas an interesting interpetation as well
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 12:35 AM
The ignoring as recommended by Ms Fennell can and often does backfire quite dramatically.

Often it doesn't address the behaviour it's supposed to and can and often does lead to dogs who no longer desire to interact with their owners at all.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I think she's pretty off her rocker. I've rarely heard anything out of her that wasn't based on old dominance myths or just silly.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >