Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2012, 10:13 PM

Lost Mirena Coil

I've got such a worry at the moment. My coil has been in for two and a half years and I've had no bleeding. In the last four months I've had bleeding and I've seen a gynae and I had an ultrasound and an internal scan and my coil didn't show up, so I had an Xray done and it showed the coil in the middle of my pelvis. When the gynae bloke looked at the xray he said hopefully it's in the right place which isnt very comforting. The bleeding is down to my uterus lining being very thick.

Well the thing is I know it darn well the coil isn't where it should be, I can feel it and I know darn well it's floating around my body and I can feel the sharp end of it.

Does anyone know, if you have an xray does it show any particular parts or does it show areas like pelvis, tummy but you can't work out like the actual uterus for instance?

I can also feel sometimes something at the end of my rectrum inside.

Trouble is I am morbidly obese so that doesn't help with any doctors wanting to help me.

I was thinking about going private and having another ultrasound and xray but would it show EXACTLY where it was although it would show the coil?

I'm so distraught over this, I've told my doctor I was thinking of going private and having those things done and she said there was no point.

I just don't know what to do. I know I need a laprascopy and get the thing taken out but how can I convince my doctor!

Any ideas on any of it anyone please?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Ask for the coil to be removed, you are free to have it out at any time.
ATD x
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Ask for the coil to be removed, you are free to have it out at any time.
ATD x
But because it's loose in my body it will need surgery to get it out.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2012, 01:39 AM
i wouldn't have thought an x ray would be very accurate at showing exactly where it is. x rays only really show bones i think so if it can't show up our insides i don't see how they can know where it is. hope you get it sorted out soon. doctors can be incredibly frustrating, if they don't know whats wrong or what to do to help they tend to try to tell you nothings wrong it'll be fine
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 06:14 AM
[QUOTE=Asti;2550563]But because it's loose in my body it will need surgery to get it out.[/QUOT

But yet is still your choice when go have t out you shouldn't have to convince yours doctor of anything. Just make an appointment to have it removed and if they won't change clinics and make a complaint of the 1st
ATD x
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 06:43 AM
How on earth has it migrated? The only place for it to go is to come out the way it has gone in. I've had the Mirena in for about 7 years (I had it changed after 5 years), it's supposed to be fitted so it it as long and wide as your uterus. The uterus is fully contained so I'm not sure where it could have gone, unless you think it has worked its way through the uterus wall.

You are obviously very worried and I would do as you have already been advised, ask the doctor for immediate removal. It is the only way to put your mind at rest.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2012, 08:37 AM
I've had 2 mirena's too and I don't see how it can be floating around your body either, as to be anywhere other than your uterus etc it would have had to have pierced your uterus and moved through the uterine wall which is possible but not that likely. Why don't they do a hysteroscopy which is a camera into the uterus and look for the thing. It's a simple common clinic proceedure. My first migrated out and my second closed itself so it was a straight line rather than a t shape and did show up on a scan and I was assured everything was fine which was a load of tosh, my consultant told me it has to be located correctly or it might as well not be there but sometimes getting to see your consultant is less than easy. It went missing completely by the time I saw the consultant again anyway.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:53 AM
If you demand that it is removed then they will have to locate it to remove it... Whether it requires surgery or not it clearly needs removing if it is causing you discomfort.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Thank you for your replies. I was a bit surprised when my doctor wouldnt let me pay privately to have another x ray and ultrasound!

Im having an op soon for a D&C, and a Marina change although I'm going to tell the consultant I don't want another one as I'm 57 and have just started my menopause.

There's alot of horror stories about Marina coils and when they have moved and embedded into a part of the body.

I just hope to god mine is still in the uterus and the consultant can get it out as there's no strings on it and I've never had children, plus I'm morbidly obese so it's going to be a challenge! I really don't think it's in my uterus.

Interesting that you cant tell from an xray what part of the body it is although it does show it up so that's something.

I just hope my consultant doesn't fob me off, I've already said to him it wasn't found on the ultrasound or internal scan. I also hope he doesn't tell me that he's taken it out when he hasn't!

Thanks again to you all.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=ATD;2550600]
Originally Posted by Asti View Post
But because it's loose in my body it will need surgery to get it out.[/QUOT

But yet is still your choice when go have t out you shouldn't have to convince yours doctor of anything. Just make an appointment to have it removed and if they won't change clinics and make a complaint of the 1st
ATD x
I would have to have it out in hospital with a gen anesthetic.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >