Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2012, 07:05 AM

My Dads Had Another Fall

Yesterday as I was leaving for work I had a phone call to say my Dad had been rushed to hospital in a bad way after another fall (the 3rd in the last 2 weeks).
His arm was ripped open so badly all the muscle and bone could be seen and he had lost a lot of blood as he bleeds profusely because of the warfarin he is on.
It took the over an hour to stitch it and they didn't know if it would stay together because his skin is like thin tissue paper. I was gobsmacked to hear that they then sent him straight home in a neighbours car. Surely they should have kept him in overnight to make sure it didn't bleed or break down when he lays on it, plus shouldn't they look into whats causing him to fall. He was also in quite a lot of shock.
My dad also suffers with Parkinsons disease and now cannot really feed himself unless its a slightly better day, then he can manage a little, he also suffers with breathing problems and the doctor says his lungs are like you would expect to see in a 130yr old, he also has heart problems and has in the past suffered 3 heart attacks. So his health is not good.
My mum has bad arthritis and glaucoma, making her sight rapidly deteriorate.
Yet she struggled for ages to try and get him up and to the bathroom, but she would not call an ambulance, despite the way he was bleeding, because she didn't want to be a nuiscance,, she can't drive but spotted a neighbour who is a retired nurse getting in her car and rushed out to her, who then tried to stem his bleeding and rushed them to the hospital.
I want them to get a careline fitted so they can just push the red button on the pendent they would wear to get help, but they say they wouldn't like to bother anyone so it would be a waste of money.
I am going to see them with my sister tomorrow and we are going to try and at least persuade them to get something in place.
Sorry its long and well done if you got through this, but its all so worrying as they won't accept any help or care, my mum is under a lot of strain especially as the Parkinsons can make him really aggresive too her at times, but she says once they take any help or anything that is their final independence gone. Which i understand, but Oh boy do they realise the strain on everyone else.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2012, 07:20 AM
So sorry to hear about your dad xxx

I hope you can get things sorted for him until then wishes him all the very best from us xxxxxxx
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I can completley sympathise hun as my grandad has parkinsons. Untill he got moved into a home he would constantly cut himself on things and is now very unsteady on his feet.

I am shocked that they sent him home that quickly though! Its normaly a battle to get my grandad out and home from hosp (he has problems with his bowels)

The careline is a brilliant idea, my grandma has one and the few times she has pressed it all the staff have been fantastic,

I hope hes alright when you go and visit him hun, it is heartbreaking to see them like that. Parkinsons is an awful disease.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Oh love, how very frightening for you all.

Poor dad..... hope he heals well

x0x
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2012, 07:39 AM
so sorry yo hear about your dad. hope you can persuade your parents to get some help. it's hard seeing your parents struggle like this when all you want to do is what's best for them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-06-2012, 08:27 AM
So soryy to hear about your dad Bev I hope he recovers from the fall soon.

I agree it is dreadful they sent him home. Mum has a care line they are good if she remembers to put the pendant on and even if she does have it on she usually calls Gill and not the agency. Her excuse they take to long to get there.

Mum is now saying she doesn't want to go in the home even for interim care. But it is all being sorted so she has no choice keeping her there is going to be an entirely different matter.

When they say they don't want to be a bother it does exasperate Gill and I because being a bother to the people whose job it is one thing and ok but they won't see it but they make it a bother for us and I know Gill and I are at breaking point again with mum. Gill because of her cancer on the top and me because of all the worries we have at the moment I just don't need to go down this route again and won't hopefully if I can stay strong.

So big (((hugs))) as I know exactly what you are going through.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Oh Bev - so sorry to hear about your Dad's fall - I agree with others that I really do not think he should have been sent home, and your parents really should have a care-line for emergencies.

(((hugs)))
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2012, 03:45 PM
You're right Bev & Lynn. It can be exasperating at times dealing with an elderly relative. I feel as if I spend the whole time nagging mine and tell them I won't be visiting them in hospital when they have their next fall if they're not wearing the pendant and not using their walker.

Hope it all works out for you. Having the extra stress on top of everything else is something you don't need.

I wonder if we'll be more sensible? I hope so!