Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Stuck with Family Tree Research.

I've started to research my family, on my Dad's side, focusing on my Grandma's family, as she knows very little about any of them, even her parents.

I'm using Ancestry, so far I've found birth records for my Great Grandad & his sister, but thats it. My Grandma and her sister don't seem to exist, and I've no idea when my Great Grandad's parents were born or died. I think I may have found when they married, but can't be sure.

I'm completely stuck, any ideas on how to progress?

Thank you !
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Marriage/birth/death certificates?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I've found Birth records for my Great Grandad and his sister, my great Auntie, but I can't find anything on my Grandma, I'm going to ring her later, see if I'm missing any helpful info because I can't find her sister either.

The side of the family I am looking into is diffcult, because they moved alot, I've found a few potential addresses for my Great Grandad, all after the year my Grandma was born, so I'm going to ask her where she remembers living. And check again as to where exactly she was born! And my Grandma doesn't know anything about her grandparents, other than the first names, so actual birth certificates would be helpful to know their full names!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Try looking at diff spellings of their names, dont forget people would write what they thought they heard and what they could spell, were they known as diff names even. I have an aunt who was Mary Jane but for some reason it says Dorothy on her marriage cert! another aunt was called Ursula but on her birth cert. its spelt as Orsla
Good Luck
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 05:15 PM
also try to look at census records. These tend to show all those living in an address so give you the names and then you can go on to look up births/deaths etc.

Getting copies of birth/death certificates can work out costly if you go for too many.

Also look to see if any of the names you do have have matches on other family trees - you can often short cut this way, but you need to double check any info you get from them.

Some Parishes and church records are published on the internet - you might drop lucky if you do a search for them.

I found it too difficult for me, but my hubby has traced his family back to the 1500s and mine back to the 1700s - he gave up on mine there as it went over to Anglesey and it was virtually impossible to find the correct person amongst many with the same name, born at the same time.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Some good advice already given, but if you are really stuck then pm me if you like with the details that you have of your grandma and I will have a dig around for you.

I have been obsessed with family history research for many years and dare not add up how many certificates I have bought
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Have just read your post and wondered if you have made any progress?

I have been doing research for a number of years .have trees for
my mum and my dad,my husbands parents,his cousin and my friend and her husband)

Its very addictive ,can be very frustrating when you hit a brick wall ,but its so rewarding when you find something out

If I can be of any help-just P.M me the info you have and what you are looking for
Maureen
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I've made some progress, recieved an email from a lovely lady from the council of the area where my Grandma was born, I gave her the details and she got back to me within 10 mins with when, where and what time my Grandma was born, my great grandparents names, what my great grandad did for a living and who my great grandmas parents were and what they did!

The research has taken a back seat at the mo, I've been so busy with everything else.

I'm itching to get to Edinburgh to the place where they've got all the records etc kept, I'd be in my element! I'm going to go at some point in the summer I think.

I'm also going to where the Southampton Archives are kept and see if anyone can help me there, next time I am down visiting my Dad!

All of what I have found is mostly new to my Grandma and she is thrilled to bits!
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2012, 12:06 AM
i would love to do this but have limited info on both sets of grandparents,now all deceased.

i know my dads mum was 18.8.1909- november 2004
my dads dad details will be on his grave in cornwall

my mums parents were married xmas day but will have to ask cousins the year.

and i also know date and month they were born but not year

4th December - mums mum
26th April - mums dad

I have never tried to go back further.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I've made some progress, recieved an email from a lovely lady from the council of the area where my Grandma was born, I gave her the details and she got back to me within 10 mins with when, where and what time my Grandma was born, my great grandparents names, what my great grandad did for a living and who my great grandmas parents were and what they did!

The research has taken a back seat at the mo, I've been so busy with everything else.

I'm itching to get to Edinburgh to the place where they've got all the records etc kept, I'd be in my element! I'm going to go at some point in the summer I think.

I'm also going to where the Southampton Archives are kept and see if anyone can help me there, next time I am down visiting my Dad!

All of what I have found is mostly new to my Grandma and she is thrilled to bits!
Wonderful!! Be careful, you will very soon be completely hooked, and then there is no hope! If you want any "look ups" done on a certain important site, just shout.

Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
i would love to do this but have limited info on both sets of grandparents,now all deceased.

i know my dads mum was 18.8.1909- november 2004
my dads dad details will be on his grave in cornwall

my mums parents were married xmas day but will have to ask cousins the year.

and i also know date and month they were born but not year

4th December - mums mum
26th April - mums dad

I have never tried to go back further.
Oooh, I am itching to start you off!!! Seriously though, with those details you can get going........provided the name isn't Smith of course!