Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Girls living together

We have decided to start looking for another dog for my mother.

I was just browsing a rehoming website and saw the description of a dog (well a bitch) who sounds like the sort she would like (theres no picture).
I looked at their rehoming policies and it says 'We do not home bitches to live with other bitches.' I've not come across this with a rescue before, and the dog in question is a bitch, there website also says 'This is the basic procedure, of course there are always exceptions so don't be afraid to telephone if you feel you don't meet the criteria but could still offer a loving home to one of our animals.'

Do I bother to apply? I don't want to waste their time and we have another bitch (she's 14 and a bit grumpy), but would we fit in with the exceptions?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 09:32 AM
The Akita rescue I do some stuff for have that as their policy too. Yet quite often people come along looking for a third dog and obviously same sexes do get rehomed together, this is our 'exception'.

As for the same sex for a second dog, honestly - I can't remember a time this has ever happened, so, no, but only because we usually persuade them to like another dog, equally as suitable on the list the opposite sex

But there again, maybe it's the breed, Akita's are 'typically' dominant with other dogs...but opposite sexes can live in harmony very easily. We just want to do every little thing to ensure the rehome works out and goes smoothly for everyone, mainly the dog. But, bitches can live with bitches no problem a lot of the time! As a lot on here can testify.

Despite this, I'd say give them a ring anyway and just explain this from the start, all rescues are different xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 09:34 AM
You can only ring and ask...its a straight forward yes or no.
My son contacted manytears when he was looking, we arranged to go up to look, all the way to Wales, when we got there he saw a beautiful bitch, he brought his bitch JRT out of the car and before we could see how introductions went/ play/ if they liked each other....we were met with No No No No thats a bitch....we don't home bitches together.

We came away so terribly disappointed and what with the journey etc., then two days later he recieved a phone call from them asking him if he would like to return and see how they got on.

Gary had by this time found Dillon a BC at a rescue, so he said no....but we always say ''it was fate'' Dillon was meant to be
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
You can only ring and ask...its a straight forward yes or no.
My son contacted manytears when he was looking, we arranged to go up to look, all the way to Wales, when we got there he saw a beautiful bitch, he brought his bitch JRT out of the car and before we could see how introductions went/ play/ if they liked each other....we were met with No No No No thats a bitch....we don't home bitches together.
So even within the same rescue it varies well more inconsistency I think - My friend rehomed a male from many tears, (after a successful homecheck I might add) and she already had a male. She didn't even have to take him up to Wales to do introductions...much to the annoyance of another friend of mine who had to cart her 2 dogs up to Wales to do introductions! Maybe it depends who you speak to on the phone, maybe it was a new starter on the phone that day
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Dogs Trust obviously don't have that rule as I have 2 bitches and it was never even mentioned
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
So even within the same rescue it varies well more inconsistency I think - My friend rehomed a male from many tears, (after a successful homecheck I might add) and she already had a male. She didn't even have to take him up to Wales to do introductions...much to the annoyance of another friend of mine who had to cart her 2 dogs up to Wales to do introductions! Maybe it depends who you speak to on the phone, maybe it was a new starter on the phone that day
Perhaps the difference there was that it was two boys rather than two girls. Not saying that males don't have their fights, but when the bitches fall out, they will fight on and on.

Wyrd - I have to say that if your bitch is old and grumpy, I would not think of getting another bitch, it just isn't worth the risk.

There will be plenty of people who say 'our bitches get on fine', but you just need to talk to the people who it hasn't worked out for to see how devasting it can be. I was nearly in the situation last year of having to rehome one of my girls because of the fighting and I can't begin to tell you what a horrible experience that was.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 12:58 PM
hi

.. im afraid im with Hali on this one... if it was two males id be less anxious for you...but a grumpy old lady and a young bitch...i would worry....there will be the right dog out there...or this could be the one...have a chat with them is all you can do...good luck.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
I think it very much depends on the breed whether there are likely to be same sex problems . With whippets there is no problem but with dachshunds there can be . I would think terriers might have a problem too as they can be fiesty .
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I find it strange that they dont like to put 2 bitches together, I have 5 bitches and yes sometimes there is the odd fight, but I have also had males that dont get on, I think it depends on the dogs. So as someone else said give them a ring and see what they say. I do suppose though if you are going to have 2 dogs then one of each would be best.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I was told when we wanted a second girlie that two girls when they fight are more likely to fight to the death than two boys. We went ahead and got a girl and I can honestly say they loved each other so much never a wrong word between them [IMG][/IMG] But when we had two boys we had no end of scraps and a couple of serious fights that led us to have to rehome one of them.

I really think it's individual dogs that matter not the sex.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >