Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Breeders -Taking deposits!

Often you will see puppy adverts stating '£100 deposit secures a pup, non refundable'..

Whats your views on this?
and if you are a breeder do you take a deposit, and what is your reason for doing so.

we dont and have never taken a deposit on a pup, simply because WE feel that once a deposit is but down owner and breeder have put them self into an 'agreement!'..If we as the breeders found something out about the owners intrested or changed our minds and wanted to run on said pup, we would be stuck 'by law' and 'HAVE' to let the said owners take said pup..As when selling/buying dogs its treated just the same as selling/buying a TV, fridge, washing machine ect ..
Do some breeders not realise this? Or is it simply they dont want owners messing them around.

IMO being messed about by pup buyers is something, but to sell a dog because you 'HAVE' to, then to later regrete it all because you have entered on an agreement with owners is 10 times worse and we wouldnt ever be able to forgive our selves.

I know selling pets is classed the same as selling furniture ect, but to us there our babies and not just something you can put a deposit down on and its yours...

How do others feel !! ?? ...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 11:58 PM
You dont have to make it legally binding, you can stipulate at the time that either party changes their mind before the pup is old enough to leave. Why would anyone want to make it a non refundable deposit...............
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
You dont have to make it legally binding, you can stipulate at the time that either party changes their mind before the pup is old enough to leave. Why would anyone want to make it a non refundable deposit...............
You tell me, I have no idea why some one would say non refundable i can only guess it is because the breeder thinks they have had there time wasted if some one pulls out!

I dont like the Idea of deposits - Plus i dont see the point, If we have some one waiting for a pup from us, then at 5/6weeks old chooses a pup and we are happy with them ect..we dont need £100 or so for either us or new owner to know there having pup..why would we!

I dont understand it, Hence i ask what other breeders do and if they do take them whats there reasons (if they care to share)..
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-04-2010, 12:16 AM
I've never bought a dog from a breeder but accept that at some point I may & have no idea whether deposits are the done thing or not ?.

I've never really given it any thought before now but I think I would be a bit put off by having to place a deposit.

I would have thought a breeder would want to know the pup is going to the right home and the last thing they would want is somebody (who has second thoughts) taking a pup because they're finacially 'tied' to a non-refundable deal.

From a finacial point of view I also accept that a breeder has costs to cover but again I would like to think that they wouldn't be breeding if they have to rely on deposits.

I would like to think that a bit of homework between the breeder and the 'owner to be' - followed by regular contact would be the best way...
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Hi
I paid a deposit for my last pup and was happy to do so. If on the day of collection either myself of the breeder weren't happy then it was refundable. She had had problems with previous litters where people chose their pups and then didn't ever collect them. Very strange.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Hi
I paid a deposit for my last pup and was happy to do so. If on the day of collection either myself of the breeder weren't happy then it was refundable. She had had problems with previous litters where people chose their pups and then didn't ever collect them. Very strange.
That's kind of what I was getting at - some people might change their mind and not collect the pup.

I see yours was refundable - I guess it depends on how much is paid but with a non-refundable deposit - you may risk people who may have otherwise not turned up, collect a pup (rather than loose their deposit) and then try to rehome the dog themselves for a price without any thought as to who it goes to.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I paid a deposit on my last pup and was more than happy to do so. The breeder had lists of people wanting pups and so you were told where in the list you were - ie I wanted a dog pup and had third choice. Your name was put on the list once you had paid your deposit. I believe it was to stop timewasters, and so the breeder knew how many homes they had prior to the pups being born. The deposit was refundable, and was only a fraction of the price of the pup.

I have no problem with putting a deposit down personally.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 07:09 AM
I don't like the idea of taking deposits, heaven forbid something happened to the puppies, you'd then have to refund the money. Or it you found out something about the prospective owners you didn't like it could make things difficult.

I am waiting for my first litter to be born and so this is all new to me, but I decided from VERY early on I was not going to take deposits, mainly for my own peace of mind I guess. I can see the argument for both sides and I know a lot of breeders do it to deter time wasters.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I dont have a problem with it, I have never taken deposits when selling my own pups but have paid them on pups I bought,
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I would expect to pay a deposit if I wanted to buy a pup?

It's a business after all, and people can be dodgy critters and change their minds at the last minute not caring if you lose out..
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »