register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BWS
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

12-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I know that this is written this on our site for boxers but it does obviously apply to all breeds hope this helps
Humanizing your dog will only increase its anxiety levels

Tips & Hints on dealing with Separation Anxiety
Ironically the best way to help your dog with its separation anxiety is to actually make yourself more separate from your dog! This is to lessen its dependence on you and so they don’t automatically feel anxious if you are not within its sight, which allows them to be calmer when you are not around. Once your dog is in a calm state of mind and isn’t suffering from separation anxiety, you can ease up on some of the tips below. You should, however, make sure that you keep all these tips in mind and they should be acted upon regularly to maintain your dog’s healthy state of mind. If your dog regresses at all, then you should go back to basics and repeat all the steps once more until the dog is calm again. You will soon find your balance and will understand what tips you need to maintain and which you can relax on and still keep your dog happy.

Try and maintain a “calm” household. The calmer everyone else is in the home, the calmer your dog will be!
Praise positive behaviour but it is essential that you ignore any “stress” behaviour. If your dog is crying or whining, distract it with a squeaky toy or a silly game. By comforting the dog you are reinforcing the anxious behaviour. If your dog is pacing and stressed, try and ignore the behaviour and praise the dog when it is calm. This is very difficult for an over stressed dog as the periods are calm are few and far between, but careful observation will prevail!
Make sure your “comings and goings” are as calm and quiet as possible. When you leave the house, DO NOT pay any attention to your dog or its behaviour. Try and avoid any play or intense attention up to 15 mins before you leave the house to ensure that your dog is in a calm state when you leave. Try and make sure it cannot see you leave from a window or glass door. Remember, that once you pick up your keys or put your coat on, then you are setting a chain of events for you leaving. This is when the dog will start to stress, so try and leave everything close the door and make this part of your departure as quick as possible.
Try and vary the doors you use. If you regularly use the back door, they use the front door every now and then, so the dog isn’t focused on you coming back through one particular door.
When you come back into the house, IGNORE the dog. Take off your coat, put kettle on etc and, once the dog has calmed down, then you give some fuss and praise. This is to make sure that you coming and going is not a huge event in your dogs life.
If there has been any destruction, just clear it up, ignoring the dog at all times. A dog will take on board any kind of attention, be it positive or negative. If you shout at your dog while you are clearing up, you have given it attention for being destructive!! It is vital that you ignore any behaviour you do not want to reinforce.
If the dog is not sleeping in your room and remains downstairs or in another room, make sure you follow the above instructions for bedtime and morning time.
If your dog is following you around the house, just shut a door behind you. If the dog cries or whines, ignore it and then re-enter the room, ONLY when the dog is CALM! When you re-enter the room DO NOT fuss the dog, just carry on as normal. If you can leave through one door and enter through another, that is ideal. It doesn’t have to be every time you leave a room, nor do you have to stay out for very long. This just teaches the dog that it doesn’t need to be with you all the time. Do this regularly until your dog stops following you around.
If your dog is stressed when you are out, try leaving them in one room. This cuts down on the amount of “emptiness” around them and may make them feel more secure. Put their bed in a corner or under the stairs etc, somewhere where they feel a little more enclosed.
CRATING WILL NOT SOLVE SEPARATION ANXIETY AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN EXTREMIS WHERE THE DOG IS IN DANGER OF HARMING ITSELF
If your dog is destructive, try and leave them in a safe and secure environment where you can relax and limit the amount of damage they can do to the property and how much they can endanger themselves.
If you do have to go out, try and make sure your dog has had plenty of exercise. A tired dog is rarely a stressed dog!!
Leave a radio or television on quietly in the background.
There are various pheromone diffusers on the market and can be used on a collar or a plug-in.
Give them a distraction toy, like a treat ball, puzzle toy or a Kong to keep them occupied.
Build up the time you leave them. Go outside for 5 mins then 10, then 15. Remember to ignore them each time you re-enter the house.
What happened yesterday may not happen today. If your dog was stressed yesterday, it could be calm the next day and will act accordingly.
Check your dog’s food. Boxers cannot handle a lot of protein, so check the levels – they shouldn’t be over 20%
For extreme cases, your vet can prescribe Clomicalm.
Separation anxiety takes lots of TLC ....... Time Love and Consistency!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Oh that's brilliant news about Lana, the fact that you came home and went straight out again too and she sloped off to her bed, it's working!!! Repetition, repetition it pays off in the end.

That's very information BWS what you have put up there, but it's pretty much what they have already done or are starting to do. I don't, however, agree with the not fussing them when you come home, that's just not fair if they've been good and have been waiting for your return imo anyway!

I wonder how Bitkin has done today with Jimmi....... Maybe she's a bit hung-over after giving that whisky decanter a bit of a bashing last night I wonder if she shared it with Jimmi he wouldn't care if she was there or not????!!!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Helena When I came home and went out again, that was yesterday, the first time out was when the neighbour said she constantly barked, was in for 3-4 minutes and went back out, down to his flat and she didn't make a sound for 1/2 hour.

I don't think the neighbour's lying but I don't think it's as bad as he says. He seemd to think I was out for hours and it went on for hours when I was only out 45 minutes. It might be a case of him hearing Lana running back and forwards and barking, he knew she was stressed and anxious when running from room to room, he has a dog of his own so is presumably a dog lover so even if it was annoying listening to Lana it could be that he found it upsetting as well knowing she was anxious so although it was a relatively short time it felt much longer to him.

BWS thanks very much for the long and informative post, aagh all that typing. The problems that Bitkin and I have is that our dogs are very happy to spend hours in another room without us, it's only when we go outside the house that they have problems. Lana doesn't have any 'stress' behaviour and I don't think Jimmi has either, except of course when they are left alone in the house

No way with the one room I've tried that and got the ripped doors to prove it, Lana doesn't like being in one room or in a crate so no enclosed spaces for her. Whether it was because she was in the pound at the police station, then taken into the kennels on a pole as they thought she was aggressive when really it was only fear according to the lady at the kennels. She has no aggression in her at all. She ended up being put in one of the larger kennels as she was so upset in the smaller ones, so I've definitely learned my lesson about not putting her into a smaller space.

I'm going to start of taping her and then depending on what she's like I'll try and decide what's the best to do for her. Must go soon and hunt out the tape recorder thingy as I'm sure it's in one of the boxes somewhere

We need Bitkin to come and let us know how Jimmi's doing after the last disastrous attempt
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Here I am......and no I am not hung over Helena!!! Just tired from not sleeping through worrying about Jimmi, and exhausted from watching England draw

BWS, I echo 1cute dog's thanks for your long helpful post but as she said, much of it really does not apply to our dogs unfortunately. I fully agree with what you say about crates not being a cure for separation anxiety, but I am hoping that Jimmi's may be a cure for a wrecked kitchen!!! The bit about leaving through a different door, out of sight of the dog I have already started employing, with slight success as detailed below. I am all for Behaviourists, but in both these dogs' cases we know full well what the problem is (i.e. that they simply hate being left alone in the house - if someone is knocking around somewhere, then they are quite content) and also know what the answer should be. In Jimmi's case, he doesn't hold with answers!!!

1cute dog - it really does sound as if your tactics are working with Lana and I am so pleased for you. Forgive me for asking, but are you on your own with Lana? I only ask because I think that in some ways it must be very much easier to do this coming and going thing regularly.........when there are two of you, it can be quite difficult as I have found out over the past week. Today I shut Jimmi in his cage and departed through the front door (very quietly!) - husband was working well out of sight in the garden. It took him longer to start barking, about a minute rather than the normal thirty seconds!! But it's a start, and instead of leaping all over me when I let him out again he rushed straight outside to carry on looking for the rat/mouse that he is convinced is nesting under the roses Just when I was going to shut him back in again for another session, some friends turned up. Eventually they went, but then husband wanted to make himself a sandwich, etc. etc. Oh grrrrrrrr.

Yet another day when my training was foiled but as husband is out for most of tomorrow I should be able to have a really good go at it. I will not give up on trying to do this, but in the meantime have booked daughter to dogsit for a couple of lunchtime "dos" that I unfortunately HAVE to go to with husband. The good thing is, being shut in his cage and becoming stressed in there does not put him off sleeping in it of his own accord.

I feel slightly ashamed that I have been unable to make much progress over the past couple of days - but hope to report with better news tomorrow. Or at least news of some sort!!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Bitkin not so sure my tactics are working with Lana, will have to wait until Monday when I hear the tapes when I come back. I don't think it's as bad as the neighbour is making out. I think it felt longer to him than what it was as he was somehow thinking I had gone out at 10am but it was 11.30 when I left.

I am on my own with Lana. I do think it's easier with the training but it's more difficult to get out as there's no one to leave her with and it's not always possible to take her with me especially when I'm having to walk a couple of miles to a shop I can leave her outside of without worrying too much. It's a very steep hill walking back up and it knackers me so sometimes don't feel like going there. It's also why I have no choice but to leave her sometimes.

As Lana doesn't bark when I'm coming down the lane I'm going to try and go the end of the lane and sit there and see if she barks. The neighbour says she always stops barking a couple of minutes before I get to the door. I know dogs can sense when you are coming back, I've seen the TV programs about it, but if she can sense I am at the top of the lane why can't she sense that I am just along the road at the shops

Did you leave Jimmi long when you went out today. I would think even if you sneaked out he would hear you but it's good he didn't bark so soon. I think it might be a long road to being able to leave them any time we want and know they are happy. You should have sent your husband to the shop for a sandwich, told him the kitchen was off limits You can see why I don't have a husband haha

It's good that Jimmi hasn't been put off his cage and still goes to sleep in it. Absolutely no need to feel ashamed that you haven't made much progress over the last couple of days. You can't ban people from visiting you and messing up your schedule, well you could but they might not be impressed. It's really good that your daughter is coming to dogsit when you have to go out, that way you can enjoy yourself without worrying about Jimmi.

How is Jimmi when he's left with your daughter. When I first got Lana and wanted to do a big shopping my son came down and Lana whined the whole time I was out. He's moved quite a bit away now, probably to make sure he doesn't have to doggy sit again Only joking.

I'm a big bad mummy because when I got out I don't spend my time worrying about Lana I just appreciate the time I have without her.

Wysiwyg, so sorry I forgot to thank you for your post. I hear what you're saying about the floorboards, it's just that there's absolutely no sounds from any of the other flats around here as they are so solidly built. Once I know for sure I will be staying here I'll get carpeting, I much prefer it anyway. I like my comfort so I do. Thanks for the link to apbc and the recommendation.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Before I say anything else, here is a lovely reply from the dog trainer at Evesham DT - some of it is old hat, but she has made me realise that I have to go right back to basics with Jimmi, and her advice may help others too.
Hi your e-mail has been passed on to me as the training and behaviour advisor for Evesham centre. If you would prefer to speak on the phone please call the centre on 01386 830613 and I will call you back.
The first thing I would be looking at with the history you describe is what is different between when you leave him at night and when you go out. Is it the front door shutting that sets him off or has he seen you put on shoes, coats etc and wound himself up before you put him in the kitchen?
The training routine I usually recommend to teach dogs to be left alone is as follow:
provide a comfy bed, toys or chews (if appropriate) and water
sit with the dog ignoring him, usually best to have a book, magazine or newspaper to occupy the person.
once he is relaxed (not necessarily asleep just not looking for fuss) get up and leave the room without looking at the dog or speaking.
stay away for under a minute
return without giving the dog any attention regardless of his behaviour and return to your book
repeat, gradually increasing the time he is alone' if he is calm when left, or remaining at the same level, if he is agitated.
when ready to end the session leave the room and leave the door open.
if he is happy to be left so long as you are in the house repeat all the above steps but prepare as if you are going out and open and close the door you would usually leave by.
all of this should ensure that he can relax in that space before he is asked to relax there alone. Lots of short practices should lead to quicker learning that one long one and by keeping it short he does not have time to get wound up and practice being stressed.
other points make sure you do not give unnecessary clues i.e. do not put coat on, lock doors, find keys etc until dog is settle alone in the kitchen; which means you may need to keep things out of the dogs resting area.
Discuss with your vet whether a supplement such as Zylkene might help him feel more relaxed about life in general or if having a DAP diffuser in the room he is left in might help him to feel better.

Many dogs make a fuss when left out of boredom and whilst, with a dog not interested in toys, you can do little to entertain them when you are out it can help if you use their brains at other times so that they need a rest when alone. simple little five minute sessions teaching anything you like will help; it does not need to be a full time job. just getting him to touch your hand with his nose, give a paw or lie down can be challenging enough for some dogs to begin with. all that is important here is that he is trying to do what you ask and that you praise and reward him often for even the smallest effort. Remember rewards can be verbal, fuss or food which ever he likes best and do not have to be huge. If you find obedience training boring teach him something you find cute or funny its not the what, its the interaction and the use of his brain that will make the difference.

Some dogs prefer to have a small space in which to hide when alone so covering part of the kennel with a blanket so it feels more enclosed can help them.

Had you recently worn the old jumper you gave him these things are most helpful if they have a strong scent of the owner on them so leaving shoes or socks you have recently worn next to his kennel may help.

if you have a very clear routine that means going for a walk and your going out without the dog routine is as different as possible this can help some dogs as they can then learn that now is exciting and when things are different no excitement.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please feel free to get in touch again either by phone or e-mail if you have any further questions or any of this is unclear and I will be happy to make further suggestions.

Jane Potter

So basically, I need to go right back to the start and not be in too much of a hurry to progress to the next stage! I think that she is right, because today when I tried shutting Jimmi in and going out of a different door for a short while on several occasions he just became more and more wound up so for him, that is definitely not the way to go.

1cutedog, there are pros and cons for having someone else around aren't there!!! I can fully understand what you say about having nobody to leave Lana with, because without husband I would be a total recluse I am not sure that much of what Jane said will be of use to you because it is tailored for Jimmi's crate training, but there are one or two things that you may find interesting in there. I will be very interested to hear what the tapes reveal on Monday, and really hope that the barking etc. is nowhere near as bad as has been made out, in which case you are definitely on the road to victory I think.

I had to laugh when you said about being a bad mummy for not worrying about Lana when you are out, because I am the same (although it has to be said that I know Jimmi is fine with husband)......I thoroughly relish my freedom!!! As to how he is when I am out, initially he would whine and fret and race around like a whirling dervish but now he just sits quietly by the window watching the path. He even did this the other day when it was a complete stranger to him in the house whilst husband and I were both out.

I will keep everything crossed that you are nearly there with Lana, and have resigned myself to be very patient indeed with Jimmi because it is clearly going to be a long haul.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Wysiwyg, so sorry I forgot to thank you for your post. I hear what you're saying about the floorboards, it's just that there's absolutely no sounds from any of the other flats around here as they are so solidly built. Once I know for sure I will be staying here I'll get carpeting, I much prefer it anyway. I like my comfort so I do. Thanks for the link to apbc and the recommendation.

That's fine no probs, glad you saw my post . I've had a bit more of a read now and see there are two Dogsey posters having similar problems.

http://responsibledog.net/separation_distress.html

I found this article, it's a bit scientific but a very good one as it goes into things like:

"In addition, there may be instances when owners inadvertently reinforce fearful behavior. For example, if a dog is fearfully aroused, characterized by normal escape or avoidance behavior and under those situations the owner is there to relieve the dog from this emotionally fearful state, the dog is reinforced and with repeated exposure the dog develops emotional dependency, leading to even greater fear and unwillingness to be left alone. An extremely negative side of this is the dog that develops a sense of helplessness in their own home environment, while others outside the home may provide the only source of “control and security” the dog is able to perceive. This may explain why many dogs do not have the same behavior problems in other environments such as boarding, at daycare or during board and train situations. "

and

"because separation distress can be defined by several motivational causes one should take caution in labeling this behavior problem characterized by so many other contributing factors. When separation distress is suspected, a careful history should be provided, and any medical or behavioral causes should be ruled out. The first step should be a thorough medical workup that may include a chemistry panel, neurological exam, CBC, thyroid evaluation, fecal exam and/or urinalysis."

I do think working with separation distress is a big problem and some dogs do need that window of opportunity with the medication, but only ever with proper behaviour support and not just given by the vet to calm the dog, which I've heard of in some cases.

There are some quite good booklets about this problem, James O Heare has written one and I believe Pat McConnell has written another

http://www.behavetech.com/sdd.html

This guy is always good

Wys
x
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I would say my routine is different in that I put on shoes and a jacket and often take my backpack for the shopping. That doesn't seem to wind Lana up now, in fact she goes and lies on her bed without being asked. Maybe when I come back from our walk tomorrow I'll change into my trainers instead of slippers and keep my jacket on so when I go out I'm not having to get ready first. I'll try going out by the back door at the bottom of the block and see how it goes. She might think I am collecting washing. Maybe I'll take the washing basket with me but would obviously leave it in the back garden. Don't want to look even more like a plonker than I usually do

I think going back to basics is a great idea and I really, really hope it works for Jimmi. I'm all ready for taping tomorrow so I will see how long it takes before she barks or starts pacing or whatever. If it's ten minutes I'll start going out for 8 minutes quite a few times a day as Helena suggested. Hopefully it's not less than but if it is I'll just start taking her everywhere with me as it's a shorter time for her to be upset if she's tied up outside a shop.

Although Lana often goes into a different room from me during the day, the doors are always open so she's free to come back any time, so maybe if she goes into her bed I'll go and close the bedroom door for a while or else I'll go into another room and close the door on her and see how she goes when she doesn't have free access to me.

These last 2 weeks or so where I've been going out each day has been the first bit of freedom since I got Lana 7 months ago Okay I did sometimes have to leave her before but I could run down to Asda, get some necessities, run back to the house and often make it in 20 minutes. I was of course knackered and harassed by the time I got back. Sometimes I would take her to the local shop after our walk but if I didn't like the look of anyone nearby I wouldn't tie her up, I would take her home and then come rushing back out myself.

My hair is a mess, I need to go to the doctors at least to register now that I've moved house and I need to go the opticians but these things would probably take longer than the 30-45 minutes so I keep putting them off. Still at least tomorrow I'll get an idea of how bad it is.

Wysiwyg thank for the link, I've only skimmed over it at the moment but looks very informative so will be reading it more carefully in a minute.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Taped Lana this morning. Not good news, in fact very bad news. So much worse than I imagined. Was out for 15 minutes.

So much for me thinking she was fine the first 10 minutes or so

Played tape back, this was the time taken from my pc

10.07 I spoke into tape and then went out
10.08 1 bark and then another bark
10.09 whine, 1 bark whine
10.10 - 10.16 Bark, whine, bark, bark, bark, bark, whining, running around, barking, whining, barking more or less constantly, running, panting, barking crying. Sounding very upset, constant barking, whining, panting, running around.
10.16 Louder barking, slight pause, more barking
10.17 Quiet, ooh I got quite excited there but then barking, quiet and barking again
10.18 - 10.25 barking and crying, barking, whining, running around, barking, yelping, crying constantly

When we came back from our walk this morning I kept my shoes and jacket on, had a coffee and then went out. I went out the back door of the building hoping she might think I was just going into the garden. When I came back I didn't hear her barking when I was in the lane but did hear her when I came round the back of the building. I could hear her whining when I got near the top of the stairs so I would say it was worse than usual as I normally hear nothing.

Looks like it will have to be right back to basics with me and take her everywhere with me.

I do wish I had thought to tape her sooner then I would have known how bad she still was instead of thinking she was fine.

While I was listening to her on the tape Lana just lay on the floor. I wonder if she knew it was herself on the tape
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh dear Lana is doing exactly the same as my Bessie. Have been reading this thread avidly because we are going through exactly the same thing as you and Bitkin and nothing but nothing seems to work. I am about to have her see a behaviourist I think but need to be perfectly sure as they aren't cheap at £130! We have had a break from it all with being away on holiday - Bessie was in kennels and was no trouble at all. This week she has been spayed so haven't done much but must get back to the basics - if only you could see a glimmer of improvement to boost confidence - I sometimes feel a complete failure with this dog.
Page 10 of 44 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »