Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-04-2010, 04:23 PM

Breathless quickly

Hi all, My 4 year old lab retriver get out of breath quickly, i mean 5 mins chasing a ball etc. She pants a lot. She is not over weight and never eats junk. any advice is welcome. I know vets is the best place but just want to see what other advice is out there.
Thx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
Hi all, My 4 year old lab retriver get out of breath quickly, i mean 5 mins chasing a ball etc. She pants a lot. She is not over weight and never eats junk. any advice is welcome. I know vets is the best place but just want to see what other advice is out there.
Thx
Hi Gary what do you mean by 'gets out of breath quickly ', do you mean panting ?
Panting after 5 mins chasing a ball sounds normal to me but if you think your dog is actually having trouble breathing (eg the dog is making a rasping sound or the breathing is laboured ) you need to see a vet ASAP to rule out serious health problems.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:35 AM
I agree ~ panting is more a way of cooling down for a dog, rather than always breathlessness after physical exercise. My dogs sometimes pant after lying in the sun ~ no exercise at all other than wagging their tails.

If you think it is anything other than this then a vet trip is always advisable. You could also try monitoring the heart rate or pulse ~ firstly at rest, then after exercise, then see how long it takes to get back to the normal resting heart rate. This info may be useful to your vet. Also you could check your dog's gums after exercise ~ are they nice & pink & if you gently press them, does the colour return quickly? But if you are at all worried, the vet's the best place.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 08:41 AM
The weather is a lot warmer now so ball chasing etc makes them tired and out of breath a lot quicker.
I can remember rushing my Rottie x GSD to the vets early one summer when she was younger as I was concerned something was wrong with her heart as she was breathless so quickly after chasing the frisbee. She was fine and when winter came could run as normal again.
If your lab is black they will feel the heat even more.
If you are concerned I would just go and get the vet to have a quick listen to his heart and lungs to rule anything sinister out.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi all, she is panting and start a lot quicker that any other dog she is with, and she lays down quickly. That why i wonder if she is getting tired to quick. she will be going to vets but i can not get her there until monday, i am away from home working and my dog is with me, but i prefur her normal vets.
Gaz
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 09:54 AM
As others have said if you are at all worried see a vet.
But my lab has been noticebly different the last couple of weeks in the warmer weather. She will have a good run, then pant a lot...recover then go again!! I just make sure i go where it is shady and take water with me.
She is fit tho and used to a lot of exercise too (tho she is a couple of pounds overweight ).