Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hapi
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:50 AM

2 puppies at once - a good idea?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has any views about the pros and cons of having two puppies at the same time?

Is it better to get one, then another one about 6 months later - or would it be just as easy to train them together

All advice gratefully received

Hapi
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Totally depends on the breed/level of your owne experience and the time you have and are willing to devote to them both individually.
On face value I would say no, don't get 2 together, but there's not much info given in your post.
I wouldn't even consider getting another pup until the first one is at least 10 - 12 months.

A friend has 2 pups that are 6 months and she is coping fine, but she has been a multiple dog owner for years and bred the pups.....
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 07:51 AM
we got our two border collies at 7 weeks old together and imo i would say it was easier coping with 2 puppies as they kept each other company and we have very minmal chewing etc
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Depends on your experience of dog owning & the puppies you get. Some can bond closer to each other than with your family & take longer to house train etc. Basic training is harder too as you will have to find time to train them separately.

We once kept two Beardies from a litter & both were they hard work in the end one came to live with me & the other stayed with my partner in dogs & their mother
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:28 AM
We kept two from a litter we bred some 3 1/2 years ago, it was hard work, you really do need time to do one on one with each pup, they tend to bond with each other and its hard getting them to bond with you, even taking them to training classes I would advise different classes as they behave like naughty school children that are sharing a secret, and will continually look for each other and distract each other. house training can take longer in some cases, remember puppy destruction is doubled too, then there is the routine stuff double vaccines, double food, double the time required to spend time with each dog, and if one is a naughty dog you can more or less guarantee the other will follow suit. it can work out as with my two but it took a LOT of effort on my part for this to happen, I would honestly say I would not have done differently as they are great together, but I have left it the 3 1/2 years before adding another pup, I would normally recommend letting one dog get over the teenage stage (which can vary a little depending on the breed) before introducing another dog into the family.

Mo
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I brought two in couple of years ago and it was a nigthmare, they get to realy on each othere instead of you and in my case the holy terrors copied each otheres bad habits
m hoping to keep two from this litter but not sure yet, if I do it will be differnt from last tiem i hope.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:59 AM
We kept two from our first litter and sadly had to choose which one to rehome at 6 months as they really didn't get on, they were fighting for attention all the time. After that experience if people come to me looking for 2 pups, I tell them to get one and come back after 12 months to see if/when my next litter is planned.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Its not something I would advise.
I have had dogs for 35 yrs and the two I have now were puppies together (4 months between them) and it has been very very hard work and i have to say they have turned out even though given individual time the two most unruly I have ever owned.
It has been made harder by the enormous size difference they could never just play rough and tumble.
But I would say get another when the first is over a year old.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
nick and sam had 18 months between them,,, they were really close - loved each other to bits

millie and nick are now 12 and 18 months - worst ages tbh - nick needs less exercise n millard needs more..!!!

as for 2 in the same litter imo i wouldnt do it,, id always keep (A max) of 18 months between my dogs

but good luck if youdedcide to go for it
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2008, 10:10 AM
i brought two pups home together 2 years ago and have had a great experience it may be something to do with size or breed? (i have a bichon and cavalier)

Toilet training was a breeze and while i had one chewer and digger the other didnt follow (thank god!) they are great company for one another and seem to bring out the best in each other.

I am happy knowing that they are at the same stage and dont have to worry about an older dog being bugged by a pup or a new dog having to defend her top dog status.

I grew up in a multi-dog home so wasnt phased but my oh did at times find it a bit much having two manic pups rushing around.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >