View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 03:27 AM

Blind and deaf, can he have a good life?

I'm actually considering maybe taking on this puppy. I don't even know if its possible, wise, or even in the best interest in the pup to try.....

This is "bliss". I named him that kind of tongue in cheek. He's completely blind and deaf (must be bliss!). He was found by my coworkers mother this morning sitting in the middle of the road. He was infested with fleas and starving. He responds so positively to touch! He wags his tail and snuggles in close. He's maybe 6-8 weeks old.

The current plan is to euthanize the pup, due to lack of quality of life, but no one had the heart to do it today. He went home with my coworker for the weekend. Didn't we have a member on here with a blind/deaf collie? Would love to connect with her. I want to do the right thing, if that means giving him a chance, or a kind death.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Oh jeeze! Yes he will have a quality of life! there are many people who have deaf and blind dogs. they're completely happy! Mouse is totally deaf and almost blind (sees only large shapes and is totally blind in the sun) and can do serious tricks!

This is Mouse

Seriously, dont euth the pup! There are rescue groups that focus solely on double merle dogs (which that puppy is) if you dont think you can cope, pm me and I'll try to help you find a rescue for the pup. If you want to give him a shot, there are several e-mail groups and resources and such that I can point you to.... Please dont euth. him. give him a chance!
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2012, 06:08 AM
What a dilemma. Life can deal such cruel blows. He looks so sweet. Hopefully with backup you can give him a good life. Good Luck.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lulusmum View Post
What a dilemma. Life can deal such cruel blows. He looks so sweet. Hopefully with backup you can give him a good life. Good Luck.
Not life, idiots who breed Merle to Merle are the ones responsible for this!!! There are literally THOUSANDS of deaf and Blind Double Merles out there. It's such a simple thing to prevent
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Aw poor pup. I have no experience but just want to wish uou all the best if you do take the pup on, or try to rehome him through a rescue.
He deserves better than to have been dumped in a road
Good luck and keep us updated!

Era Sara and scout; I so want to watch the video of boo when my Internet lets me, it's amazing what you've done for all your deaf dogs
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 07:07 AM
If you take on the pup I wish you all the very best with him, he still has smell and touch, and with sarah'n'scout around to help you I am sure things will be fine.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 07:15 AM
I used to wonder about Bailey's quality of life but you only had to see him stood nose to the wind sniffing away with that look on his face to see he was enjoying himself

It's hard work getting the training in but the rewards are kind of double and I doubt you'll find another dog as faithful as a sight / hearing / or both impaired dog, they depend on you for everything.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 07:26 AM
My gran took a pup that was born with no eyes....they never developed.....and loss of hearing in one ear, we are talking over 60 years back as she died when I was 10 and Gran had had her for 18 years, in those days there was no help as there is today, but Titch was a remarkable dog, she relied mainly on scent and touch and she had a fabulous loving life, my family loved the bones of her. And she lived on a farm too where there was alot going on.....everyone knew to ''watch Titch''

Best wishes xxx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 07:28 AM
If you can take him on do - he looks gorgeous and I believe in fate, the fact that he has come your way. I wouldn't have thought that the pup will feel depressed, scared etc as he has never had sight or hearing so what he is experiencing is the norm.
I'll watch this thread closely but I think he is just so cute looking.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Check out www.handicappedpets.net,
you will find heaps of info on keeping blind / deaf dogs,
I believe they can have a good quality of life, most people just are'nt willing to put the time and dedication in tho
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »