Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 01:49 PM

Getting my first dog on Weds ... !!

I'm (hopefully) getting my first dog on Wednesday, and I'm sooooooooooo excited ! He's a black lab, 4 years old, and I found him via the breed rescue. I'm going to see him on Weds, and all being well he will come home with me. He's staying with his current family for now - they have to part with him because of one of the kids' allergies/asthma (poor things).

Any tips for helping him to settle in ? We will have an hour's journey to get home, then I thought I would take him for a walk before going into the house.

Also any ideas for helping my kids (8 and 6) to get to know him (he's too big for them to hold the lead by themselves) ? I think they might find him a bit big and intimidating at first.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 02:04 PM
How exciting. And a family dog already, which is great.
If I were you I`d ask the children to put their toys and shoes away till he understands what he`s allowed to play with as you don`t want a battle on the first day. And maybe ask everyone to let him chill out till he learns the layout and the routine (don`t fuss him & play with him immediately). Gently does it. It`s all going to be new and different for him.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 02:40 PM
How exciting

I was exactly the same as you 21/2 wks ago when we got our rescue but I have been amazed at how quickly she has settled. Just try and relax and as CAD^^^ said dont crowd him.
Good luck
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Congratulations, I'm so excited for you.

As a dog coming straight from his own home to a new, strange one, don't be surprised if he is a bit down whiney at first - he won't really understand what is going on.

As the others have said, don't crowd him (adults as well as children) and make sure he has a space which is just his (a bed or crate) and when he's in it No-one should disturb him there. That way, if things get too much he knows he can go to that place and be left alone.

I'm sure it won't be long before he feels completely one of your family.

Good luck, I can't wait to hear how you get on
LurcherLuver
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Best thing i have found is to find out where the dog is used to sleeping/being on its own. Is it crated or does it have a soft bed say in the kitchen? then try and provide a safe area within your own home where he will feel its his space, where he can go when he is just wanting to take things in or rest. Then teach the kids that when the dog is in this place, leave him be, and tell them to let him come to them.

The main thing is, dont worry.. .the dog will pick up on it and wonder why you are so stressed and will think there is something to worry about. Be as natural about your daily routine as possible, sit, read the paper, dont feel you have to follow him about, although for obvious reasons, always be there when the children are about. Dogs are highly adaptable, it us humans who don't always adapt too well
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Though this might help..

Dogstrust

Settling an adult dog into a new home
It can take some dogs months before they settle in and show their true colours, whilst others may just take minutes – as if they’d belonged with you all their life.
Don’t invite people around to meet your dog, or take him to busy, potentially scary places for at least a couple of weeks. Give him plenty of time to bond with you, get to know his new home, feel safe and secure before expecting him to cope with too much!
Start as you mean to go on with regards to what you find acceptable or not. Once habits form, they can be hard to break.
Find a daily routine and stick to it.
Don’t over compensate for the fact that your dog may have had a hard life up to now by lavishing attention on him for the first few weeks. Your dog could become over-attached and develop anxiety problems when you leave him alone. Make sure that you don’t let him follow you everywhere around the house and arrange times when you leave him alone for short periods every day.
Be careful when opening the front door or getting out of the car, until you know that he’s not likely to bolt.
Keep him on the lead when on walks, until you can be sure that he won’t run off, or bother dogs or people. Make sure you do some recall training at home, before giving him too much freedom.
Be very careful when meeting children for the first time, especially if your dog came in as a stray. Never leave any dog alone with children.
If you have any problems, contact your Rehoming Centre. We are here to give you help and advice on any aspect of your new dog, for the whole of his life.

Hope everything goes well and you have your new family member with you weds.
All the best
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 04:15 PM
aaw thats so great, so glad that you have found a dog in need of a home.

As above great advice, my rescue took at least 2 weeks to settle in, he was rehomed from someones home direct, and he was very scared and unsure at first with us and kept running to the door.

He was also very well behaved etc ( they often call it the honeymoon period) so be prepared to have a settling in period.

The new dog wil have to get used to new kids and their ways, a new house new people etc so just let him do it at his own pace.

good luck and piccies are essential

dani
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Just wanted to wish you well for weds. I'm sure you will all have loads of fun.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Oh Good Luck for Wednesday, and I love your username

One of the first things I'd do is show him where you want him to go to the toilet and when he does, praise and reward. I agree about the shoes and toys, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people on Dog Borstal, It's me or the Dog etc that complain that their dog chews their shoes and yet, the still leave them out!

Fingers crossed for Wednesday. x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 08:36 AM
How exciting! Wish you all the best with your new dog x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >