View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 06:29 AM

Getting Married - Who Do You Need To Inform?

Ha ha, I knew that would whet your appetites

It's not official yet...I have been asked and have said I will think about it, got to treat them mean to keep them keen and he wants to ask my dad in person...my parents have been waiting for this day to come for 47 years now so of course they're going to say yes, yes, yes We are looking to do it around August/September time so no long to get anything planned.

We were chatting about it last night, as Clive is divorced it would have to be a register office do, I'm not really worried as I never thought I would get married anyway, I said I am happy to do it whatever way he wants, (if I say yes ), so he has asked me to contact the local church to see whether we could do it there, or maybe have a blessing after a register office ceremony. As you know, we've not been here long and neither of us are church goers so it will probably be a no, but hey ho, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Never having done this before, I know there are certain people I need to inform..bank, doctors, NI etc., but wasn't sure if there was a check list anywhere to advise who you let know of change of name/circumstances etc.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Congratulations

It is so many years now since I did it I cannot remember.

I do remember the bank having to be one because you have too give in a specimen signature with your new surname.
Doctors too yes. DVLA I would think, I didn't drive when I got married, so might be worth checking because your name will different to that on your license.

Anything really I would think that has your current name and signature as it will be changing in the next few months.

I am sure google will have a check list.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Congratulations

There isn't too much you can do until after you're married because most want to see your marriage certificate before changing names etc.

I certainly wouldn't ask the vicar if he could do a civil ceremony in the church as this implies that it is the venue rather than the religious meaning that you're interested in. But certainly you should ask about a blessing service and i would hope that the vicar would definitely consider it. I know my FIL would.

My oldest brother was in the same position as his wife was a divorcee. They got married at a registry office where only their parents attended...then straight on to the church for the blessing, which really was just like a wedding ceremony.
I would make an appointment to go and talk to the vicar. Explain that whilst you don't go to church you both are Christians and that the blessing would be important to you.

We actually had to attend a sort of 'pre-marriage guidance' session with our vicar. I thought this was quite good really - it made you think about what you were actually committing to.

Good luck with all the arrangements - you havne't given yourselves very long to get it all organised (so you'd better not leaving him waiting for your answer too long or you'll have even less time )
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I would get to the newsagent, buy a decent magazine there are loads, most will have a what to do checklist on what to do......

Congratulations by the way! (if you say yes!)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 07:46 AM
kennel club!!!! Send them your copy of Cert after, if you want to go by your new name!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
kennel club!!!! Send them your copy of Cert after, if you want to go by your new name!
LOL------congratulations, enjoy it wherever it is.

rune
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:39 AM
you could have a civil ceromony in a hotel, thats what we did as we had both been married before.

you need to inform

tax, bank, utilities, DVLA, doctors, car log books, phone compay

Hope you say yes xxx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:42 AM
No idea about lists and informants and all that... but one thing... will Leon be Page Boy???
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Here's one for changing your name:

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articl...nameadvise.asp
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
There's lots of lovely places you can get married- as long as it's registered to hold weddings. Some ministers will marry divorcees- it's at their discretion.

Fudgley is right though if you buy a wedding mag it'll have a checklist.

It's my 1st anniversary next month, I'd love to do it all again!

Good luck and congratulations xx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >