View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 12:29 PM

castration question (does it reduce dominance aggression)

Has anyone had any success with castration reducing dominance aggression
Thanks
Nikki
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
No idea - when you have a problem like this, castration is usually just one part of a whole training or behaviour programme.....usually its impossible to tell if was because the dog has been castrated....you can't go back and try again

Jasper was castrated because he started to be pushy with other dog - would in no way call it aggression and certainly not dominance....just being a pushy teenager...however - I already had one rescued problem dog and my mother wanted this one to be easy. It was exactly the right thing to do in my mind, he stopped strutting up to other dogs and almost instantly went back to greeting with more relaxed body language....whether this was due to the castration...no idea, but it coincided.

I would probably suggest you tried the implant first (if this is your dog) to see if the reduction of the testosterone has any effect, however - I do not think castration is the only thing that should be considered.

ETA....just read it back - not very clear...Sorry - I'm cold and wet!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Would only make a difference if the aggression was testosterone driven and that would normally only happen in the presence of intact bitches, So in general no it will not help although castrating all the others so he is the only one intact may help, try Suprelorin
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Castration can make a fearful dog worse as the testosterone is reduced.
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
As others have said, it may help but must be done along with training.

you can have an injection done by your vet that is like a chemical castration to give you an idea if it is going to help. The injection is expensive and the results aren't 100% (the changes aren't always exactly the same as they are after castration)
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Netpon View Post
As others have said, it may help but must be done along with training.

you can have an injection done by your vet that is like a chemical castration to give you an idea if it is going to help. The injection is expensive and the results aren't 100% (the changes aren't always exactly the same as they are after castration)

I would certainly avoid the injection...it will not give a true indication as it does not supress the testosterone but introduces a synthetic progesterone (sp?). If you go down that route I (personally) would ask for the implant - not the injection.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:11 PM
As part of a training programme, castration certainly helps. But is not a quick fix on it's own. Plus if you have no plans to breed the dog, Castration will avoid a number of other health issues and reduce the chance of losing him chasing an in heat bitch
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Not expecting a quick fix...he is absolutely fine out side with other dogs its just with my other male.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
We got Bruce castrated, for the simple reason that he was becoming ''push my button if you can'' with other males outside.

Now he ignores them (this was with training too) unless they keep pestering him, then he can show a short fuse....although my ''Leave'' works but I do wonder what he'd of been like without castration.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Then I would think Castration will help. It will reduce testosterone and territorial behaviour in the house. Certainly worked between Jackjack and Pharaoh when I had two males, one castrated the other not.. Once they were both done they became very calm with each other.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >