View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Oh I really hope that you get some good news about spud and that he is well cared for, it might be worth handing in a letter and including a photo of nugget so the new owners know he was definitely yours as in this day in age I wouldn't be too keen to contact someone asking in depth questions about my dog, having said that i would defimnitely write you a letter telling you how he was and give you a pic if I recieved a letter from you. Good luck
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Was Nugget microchipped? I work at Manchester Dogs Home and we will allow someone who is not the owner to come and identify a dog and claim it in these circumstances, IF, they have some documentation of the owners details, so if your brother had access to your home or had some form of id ie a letter or utility bill of yours he could have claimed your dog so long as he paid the claim fee? or if he had no id available and you were still away when the 7 days came up he could have been there at the home at opening of business on that day, and adopt the dog, if it had been requested, they would have kept hold of the dog until he arrived on the 7th day so that the dog wasnt adopted by anyone else if they had known the circumstances our job is to re unite a dog with its owner where ever possible.

mo
sc2oo9
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2009, 09:15 AM
nugget wasnt microchipped unfortunatly and i was on holiday for 2 weeks so they had every right to rehome him.
My brother wasnt able to get to manchester to rehome him, it was officially his dog when he was younger but he moved out and nugget stayed with us so he knew him better then anyone if he would have been able to get there to claim him.
my point about the way it was handled was that I ave a detailed discription about him, i gave the name he responds to, what he looked like and the fact that he had an operation on his back right foot and so was missing a toe...i told them the name of the vets it was done at and everything so they could check and that i was in no position to go myself and identify him......my point on the line was that, it is very unlikely that it wasnt going to be my dog, i knew so much about him and he had only just arrived at the dogs home so I wouldnt have had any opportunity to go and have a peak if I just wanted him as a new pet.....manchester dogs home didnt give a toss in my opinion.
I know that the staff must work very hard to care for all the dogs but they did have the opportunity to reunite him and didnt....i explained i would be happy to pay all cost for him stayin there for 2 weeks but they didnt care
sc2oo9
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2009, 09:18 AM
i just tried calling and it went to voicemail.....try again later and let yous no xx
Thanks for all you thoughts and comments, its very massively appreciated
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately if your brother was unable to go an adopt Nugget on the 7th day then that is NOT the dogs home fault, they have on average 400 dogs on site at any one time, it is not licenced to be a boarding kennel, so after the 7th day the dog HAS to go up for adoption, what I cant understand is if the dog was not microchipped, when your brother went to the home, why didnt he just go in give the discription of the dog, identify it and claimed it? all he needed was his ID and the claim fee? if the dog was his originally then he was not doing anything illegal? problem is all too often the dogs home gets accused of " not giving a toss" when in fact many a time the owners of these missing dogs lay the blame of their dog being rehomed because they through reasons of their own cant be bothered to come and claim the dog or try to adopt the dog back on the 7th day, you would also be surprised how many conveniently "lose" their dog and claim it back on the 7th day purely because they have gone on holiday for a week and the dog being in the home is cheaper than paying boarding kennels, all they have to do is get in at opening time and adopt/claim their dog back and only have to pay the fees which are far less than boarding kennels would charge, and the dog gets vaccinated/flea treated wormed in the fee, I am sorry you lost your dog but I feel there is something odd about how this came about, knowing how the dogs home works and knowing the staff and their personalities,( the same staff are in reception as they were 5 years ago) they have been there for many years and I KNOW they would do everything in their power to get a dog rehomed with its owner.

All that aside, I really hope you can contact this person and possibly get Nugget back it would really be a fantastic thing.

Mo
taniamiff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Good luck. What a very sad story. Keep us updated, please.
sc2oo9
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Unfortunately if your brother was unable to go an adopt Nugget on the 7th day then that is NOT the dogs home fault, they have on average 400 dogs on site at any one time, it is not licenced to be a boarding kennel, so after the 7th day the dog HAS to go up for adoption, what I cant understand is if the dog was not microchipped, when your brother went to the home, why didnt he just go in give the discription of the dog, identify it and claimed it? all he needed was his ID and the claim fee? if the dog was his originally then he was not doing anything illegal? problem is all too often the dogs home gets accused of " not giving a toss" when in fact many a time the owners of these missing dogs lay the blame of their dog being rehomed because they through reasons of their own cant be bothered to come and claim the dog or try to adopt the dog back on the 7th day, you would also be surprised how many conveniently "lose" their dog and claim it back on the 7th day purely because they have gone on holiday for a week and the dog being in the home is cheaper than paying boarding kennels, all they have to do is get in at opening time and adopt/claim their dog back and only have to pay the fees which are far less than boarding kennels would charge, and the dog gets vaccinated/flea treated wormed in the fee, I am sorry you lost your dog but I feel there is something odd about how this came about, knowing how the dogs home works and knowing the staff and their personalities,( the same staff are in reception as they were 5 years ago) they have been there for many years and I KNOW they would do everything in their power to get a dog rehomed with its owner.

All that aside, I really hope you can contact this person and possibly get Nugget back it would really be a fantastic thing.

Mo
Right im sorry but that seems to be a little bit of a dig at me.....i never conveniently went on holiday for a week so i didnt have to pay a boarding kennel. I was 16 and lost my dog when I away for TWO weeks......if that was the case I wouldnt be here 5 years later trying to find out what happened to him.
I wrote in the last post that my brother WASNT able to get to manchester and I was there for two weeks so please read the thread properly before you get defensive..... if it was a pop at the home i would have done that years ago. All i have put this on here for is to hopefully find out if he is okay and that he found a loving home......If you would like my opinon on manchester dogs home tho, i will say that they must be out to make the money in my opinon foir not doing home checks, like the RSPCA to make sure that the dog goes to a suitable home. The fact that he had three homes after he left there probably says something doesnt it.....and what about the breed of a dog, nugget could have gone to someone that purely wanted him for hunting because thats what people do with that kind of dog, rottweillers could be bought from there for fighting, dogs homes like the one he came from dont check, they just send them on their way after payment has been taken...
You said that they get 400 dogs a day in,m the girl confirmed he was there and the description i gave is unlikely to have been any other dog, so Ill have my opinions and you have yours, the only thing I know is that I was a young girl who just wanted her dog back and know one would help me....If I had wanted to use the place as a boarding kennel I wouldnt have offered to pay for his care while he was there, but I guess its easy for you to dismiss all that because I am apparently someone who doesnt give a toss about the little dog I grew up with and has since he was a baby.
sc2oo9
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry about my little outburst everyone.....Just an update, i tried ringing sparrow dogs home where he was last but they are nolonger a dogs home....The lady said she would try and contact someone who will probably know about it and get back to me but I havent heard anything yet !!! fingers crossed
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by sc2oo9 View Post
Sorry about my little outburst everyone.....Just an update, i tried ringing sparrow dogs home where he was last but they are nolonger a dogs home....The lady said she would try and contact someone who will probably know about it and get back to me but I havent heard anything yet !!! fingers crossed
i can understand your frustration, I hope that they can help, they must have records so know where the dogs went.

good luck
keep us updated
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Good Luck I hope you manage to pass a note and get updates of your little fella x
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »