Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benny1
New Member!
Male 

28-11-2010, 12:44 AM

Other herding breeds in trials....

Hello all,

I've got a two year old Rottweiler from a very good working bloodline and I am after any information on where, if anywhere I can start training him to herd. Ideally the end result would be herding cattle but this looks unlikely in the U.K.

He is a small compact dog and has the herding instinct in him. I haven't had him long as I bought him for part time security work from somwone who had him for a pet and didn't even bother teaching him to sit.

My gut instinct tells me that I should not put him through security training, and that he would be better suited to herding. An incident with five wild horses in the New Forest has reinforced this decision!

If anyone can help that would be great!

Ben
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I think if your dog`s chasing ponies you need to look at basic training first.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
Hello all,

I've got a two year old Rottweiler from a very good working bloodline and I am after any information on where, if anywhere I can start training him to herd. Ideally the end result would be herding cattle but this looks unlikely in the U.K.

He is a small compact dog and has the herding instinct in him. I haven't had him long as I bought him for part time security work from somwone who had him for a pet and didn't even bother teaching him to sit.

My gut instinct tells me that I should not put him through security training, and that he would be better suited to herding. An incident with five wild horses in the New Forest has reinforced this decision!

If anyone can help that would be great!

Ben
I do not see why having a different breed should prevent you from trying out herding - however - chasing is slightly different to herding

I would Echo C&D's post - really get some good basics installed first - then look if you want to take it further

Have fun training.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Yes - apologies. I didn`t mean to sound so critical. Not quite awake perhaps.
But herding dogs do well because they are very responsive so good basic training that has your dog listening to you even while excited is esential.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:42 PM
We have working sheepdogs, and while I know of plenty of farmers/triallists who will train dogs to work sheep - I am not sure how many would be happy to let a Rottie loose on their sheep tbh.

Why not contact the ISDS and see if they can help?
Benny1
New Member!
Male 

28-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
We have working sheepdogs, and while I know of plenty of farmers/triallists who will train dogs to work sheep - I am not sure how many would be happy to let a Rottie loose on their sheep tbh.

Why not contact the ISDS and see if they can help?
Will do, thats a great help thanks alot!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Be aware that Rotties herd in a totally different style to BC, and you might be better off contacting the ASD folk who run herding aptitude tests.

If you passport your dog you could train abroad but you need to get the rules for the tests first.

GSD have the HGH qualification, but again they herd not like BC but are a "living fence" for sheep that are not constrained by fences.

Have you contacted any of the Rottie clubs for advice and information?
Benny1
New Member!
Male 

29-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Be aware that Rotties herd in a totally different style to BC, and you might be better off contacting the ASD folk who run herding aptitude tests.

If you passport your dog you could train abroad but you need to get the rules for the tests first.

GSD have the HGH qualification, but again they herd not like BC but are a "living fence" for sheep that are not constrained by fences.

Have you contacted any of the Rottie clubs for advice and information?
Good advice thank you. I have contacted them and they said to contact a woman in Kent who has trained her rotties to herd geese.