Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NeoTed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Breed specific books

Can anyone recommend a good, informative and most importantly, accurate book on the Staffordshire bull terrier please?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:48 PM
What kind of information do you want. History, caring for, showing, other sports?
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
The Staffordshire Bull Terrier In History And Sport by Mike Homan is a good historical one.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Mike Homan is judging at a sporting /alternative show soon.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by NeoTed View Post
Can anyone recommend a good, informative and most importantly, accurate book on the Staffordshire bull terrier please?
If you are looking for accurate as regards history then it would depend on what you want to believe. There are so many theories on the breeds origin that it would depend on what you believe.

some believe there is no terrier in the breed and that some of the writing that is claimed to be about the breed is actually about an other breed altogether.
NeoTed
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you Snoringbear
Im interested in all aspects but especially in the history. Is there one you would recommend Leadstaffs?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:38 AM
I personally have found most books on the stafford a little disappointing.
The complete Staffordshire Bull Terrier by Danny Gilmour I found useful.

Your Staffordshire Bull Terrier by Steve Bradder is supposed to be a good read and I have seen bits of it but not the whole book.

I have found joining breed specific forums a good source of information. The information can be off the wall but at the end of the day it may seem like that to me because I don't agree with it. I would also suggest you go to Amazon where you can have a peek inside the book before buying and of course ebay has a good selection.

Books are so personal.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
If you are looking for accurate as regards history then it would depend on what you want to believe. There are so many theories on the breeds origin that it would depend on what you believe.

some believe there is no terrier in the breed and that some of the writing that is claimed to be about the breed is actually about an other breed altogether.
That is interesting as owning a Jack Russell and a Staffie, I can't see any similar traits between the two. Lily (jrt) is nose to the ground when we're out or looking for things to chase. Alfie (sbtx) just runs around and doesn't really use his nose much at all. He isn't visual either, a walk is a chance to run, swim and meet other dogs as far as he's concerned!