View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:14 PM
I'd love some pigs (kept for meat) but realistically, we've not really got enough land to be able to rotate it properly.

If we could just rent an extra acre somewhere close by, I'd have them like a shot!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:38 PM
My gran kept them on her farm, but they were for slaughtering, little old me used to love them dearly, she would say...come away now they are not stopping I used to think ''''yes they are''' and always got very upset when they ''were no longer''

Needless to say if I had any they would be ''stayers''
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Apparently keeping pigs is one of the single most environmentally sounds things man can do.

We have several of our network providers who breed and keep Kune Kune pigs and use them in animal assisted therapy. They are absolutely hilarious and yes, very dog like. On one particular visit to a farm we went to see their new litter of piglets. One of them was being bullied by the others so he came over to me and curled up asleep on the toe of my wellie boot as we stood chatting. Awesome little characters!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I always remember my very realist very country folk grandparents, who hunted and shot, kept poultry and rabbits for the pot, getting a pair of saddlebacks when i was knee high to a grasshopper, raised to be slaughtered. Yet the bond they got with "Harrold & Gusstle" was far too much, to the point they piggies lived the end of their days out in the field at the bottom of their garden, and both died through being tired of life some considerable years after they should of been slaughtered
However I'd love a pair of pet piggies!
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I used to work on a 100 sow breeding herd for 17 years, loved every moment. Pigs are awesome, if you are likely to get attached, don't do it.
They are so much like dogs if tamed.
Some of the ones I looked after, used to lay on there sides as soon as I walked in their pens, to have their tummies rubbed
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2