Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 09:14 AM

A great morning!

Lately the dogs have been going on the same walks each day. Partly because the park is 2 minutes down the road and partly because I was worried about Eddy going to a new place as he doesn't know the dogs there.

But yesterday I thought it had to stop! Takara's definitely getting bored with the same walk each day and Eddy has improved so much I felt it was time to step it up a gear.

We drove out to Endcliffe Park - a really beautiful place but a known place for dog walkers. Takara was offlead, and Eddy on his extending lead. We walked through to a wooded area practicing their recall and as there were no other dogs there when we got there I let Eddy off to practice his recall without a lead.

He turned into a completely new dog! Like a two year old who'd never seen stiff joints! He bounded around, as soon as I called him he turned on his heel and literally bounced back to me (his recall is usually pants) and he loved it.
Takara was glad to be somewhere new too and loved the fact it was just us - no other people.

I put Eddy back on his long lead to walk down past some dogs and by using the command 'no noise' I managed to settle him down a lot.
Usually I ignore him if he growls until he's quiet but I tried saying 'ah! what are you doing?!' and he was so miffed that I was disappointed with him that he obeyed the command everytime!

We met a variety of dogs all of which Eddy was brilliant with and Takara loved it!

She's decided she likes water now and wouldn't stay out of the streams, so of course, Eddy who hates water aswell had to follow her into the shallow bits of the streams.

I'm so glad it's got to a stage where I can take them out and not worry about Eddy's reaction as much!

I don't think we'll be walking in our local park all that much anymore!!

Now I just need to find a guide to the different places in Sheffield - I've lived here 17 years and haven't a clue what's on my doorstep! There are some beautiful walks in Sheffield so now the three of us need to go and find them together!
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Lottie,

Glad Eddy and T enjoyed there walk in Endcliffe Park- Thats a particular favourite of mine, cos theres all the woods and streams and then the massive field and a cafe and toilets too . The duck pond poses as a problem for Bo as we all know she just loves a nice bit of duck and the field where molly can steal footballs but appart from that Endcliffe park is a big hit!

Dog walks in sheffield- i know a few
you could try
Forge Dam
Dam Flask
Loxley/Wadsley Common
Rother Valley
Burbage Brook
Stanage Edge
Derwent Dam
Ladybower
Or just some of the millions of parks we seem to have!

Good Luck and let me no if you ever need a walking companion (transport is a tiny problem at the mo )
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 10:56 AM
a lovely morning indeed
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks Thandi,

Thanks Frances :smt001

It's just getting to all those places! wanted to go out to Dam Flask the other day but haven't a clue how to get to it! I would've asked you but I know you're not good with travelling at the moment

Hope you're ok and if you ever need a break from the 'lodger' you know where to find me!