Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 01:54 PM

A GSP or Doberman puppy, posting for a relative

Hello all, my cousin and his wife have just brought their first house after recentlly marrying and want to add a dog to their home they have just added a ragdoll kitten, now want a doglet.
But they havent decided between their finalist of 2 breeds, a german Shorthaired pointer or a Doberman, they really like both breeds, but they can't decide between them, so i was wondering any of these breed owners could offer some info only an owner of the breed would know, we've had dobies before but any more info would be welcome, and some info on GSP's would be great, and i know there are a few owners of board now
best wishes
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 04:10 PM
As always I will suggest for your relatives to go see trials, shows, visit breeders etc all related to the breeds they are interested in.

One dog doesnt make the breed and it will also help them decide what lines they want a dog after
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Don't own either breed but they will be highly energetic breeds who will require a lot of exercise.

My advice is similar I would thoroughly investigate breed traits/characteristics, talk to owners and breeders about them and absolutely make sure the breed is right for them.

Are they just going on what the breed looks like? Do they want to show/work the dog at all or just want a pet? If they are first time dog-owners they might be better off chosing different breeds as members of the Gundog and Working Groups can be a challenge for first time owners.

I would advise them to hold off buying a pup until they know the 'ins & outs' about them both first - this will help them avoid buying a dog that doesn't fit well into their lifestyle.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 05:25 PM
well they have had dogs before of various breeds. They have been to a few breeders of each breed seen adults pups etc, like what they have seen and experienced on both sides, my cousins wife was big on the GSP's which means she will probably get her way
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 05:27 PM
As an owner of two GSPs I would say for anyone thinking of this breed is that you have to be able to give them a great deal of exercise. They are very lively and intelligent dogs and need a lot of physical and mental exercise. When bored or unhappy they can be very destructive and for this reason an awful lot of GSP s end up in rescue, they are after all a working breed, bred for spending all day on a Grouse moor.
They are also extremely loving and sensitive dogs and a real pleasure to own and live with. They are also in my experience very protective of their owners and make good guard dogs, this involves a lot of barking....so if this would cause a problem with neighbours then they may not be the right breed. They are very headstrong especially when off lead, therefore training has to be done at an early age or they will go easily out of control and take off.
These are just my experiences of the breed, they do involve a lot of hard work, but they are worth it.
Hope this helps Luke
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 05:30 PM
thanks Het it does a lot, they live out in Dunchurch, which is rural and they live in pretty much middle of nowhere, only 1 house next door which is used for renting so im not sure neighbours would be a problem, whichever breed would recieve a deal of excerise mainly as my cousin works outside on open land, something to do with Agricuture (i dont pay attention) so the doglet would go to work with him more than likely
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Thats how we do it Luke,the Pointers go to work with my BF, hes an Agronomist and walks fields and crops all day...so they get loads of exercise.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2005, 06:21 PM
oh i see, and as my cousins wife works from home the dog would be well provided for excersise wise all the time
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Luke
well they have had dogs before of various breeds. They have been to a few breeders of each breed seen adults pups etc, like what they have seen and experienced on both sides, my cousins wife was big on the GSP's which means she will probably get her way
Luke, I would say it's a done deal!

Women always win, I'm surprised you haven't learnt that on here. :smt077