Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 11:21 AM

Choosing a vet

Okay..for one reason and another I'm seriously thinking of changing my vet and that (and another thread on here today) have got me thinking...how did you choose your vet? Why do you stay with them?
What are the important criteria for selecting a vet?

Not much there then!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I chose my vet initially through word of mouth, other dog owners had highly recommended him to me.

I stay with him because he is experienced, genuine and he cares! I have never found another vet who actually really cares about your dog. He will go the extra mile to help any animal in need and also has an open and friendly manner with owners.

My vet is FAB
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, when Teagan got ill the other year, and was then misdiagnosed, and the vet wouldn't listen to my opinion....I changed Vets.
I went by recommendation, and don't regret it.

My vets are friendly, willing to listen to *me*, and let me ask questions and give my point of view, they also let the customer help in their pets treatment. They are considerate when not in a great situation.
They aren't cheap (but then again aren't a total rip off), but I know what I'm getting for my money before I pay for it.

They LOVE Teagan, and let her sit on the chairs in the waiting room, and also don't mind her jumping up on the reception desk - she does this every time!

I can ALWAYS get an appointment for the same day, and they are very flexible when it comes to trying to fit in operations etc around your working hours.

When Teagan was ill, and had to go for her bandages changing every 2 days, they didn't charge me, and gave me extra bandages etc to take home in case they came off.

Hmmmm, I like my vets
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi A Mine was through word of mouth, a new surgery with all brand spanking new equipment, very few clients, lovely, lovely South African vet who I went and saw prior to changing over, easy parking facilities in a major pets store car park, eeerrrm that's about it! My last vets were forever changing hands, I never knew who I was going to see and I do like my "own" vet if ya know what I mean. The car parking was atroscious on a main road too, one of the vets was very aggressive (probably frightened!) of my gsd's, and they charged far too much!!!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I swapped vets as I was getting more fed up with their service and the way they treated me and my dog. Luckily a friend set up a practise locally, so all my animals are there. He has a fantastic reputation, done enough years to know his stuff, and he treats my animals like they were his own. I will never move
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Word of mouth is a good way I have been with my vet for many years.

People don't always think to do this, but you can make an appointment with a new vet and just go along and introduce yourself and one of your dog/s (It is best to explain this is your intention when you make the appointment ). Doing this gives you the chance to speak to the vet when you are not stressed or as the result of an emergency and you have the chance to see if there is a rapport between you .

It will cost you the price of a consultation but I think it is money well spent and I think most vets would think it shows a considerate owner
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Good thread Ramble,.
I changed my vet about 4/5 years ago, the reason being I found out my vet had lied to me re: an operation my cat had, I had mea my rotty bitch in the day before for hips/elbows to be xrayed, I also had a call out for the horse that month for boosters and a gen mot so to speak, the day after mea was done Kobbie was to be castrated, he was just a young cat and his testicles had not long dropped, The reason I cracked was a £30 opp ended up costing £170.00. The new vet did the opp, but they had no idea the girl in doing work experiance was my niece, apparently after sedating the cat she examined his bits and the testicals went back in, rather that manipulating the abdomen she decided to cut him right open, When talking to my neice the opp took 2 hours and I believe she punctured the bowel, the cat had more anisthetic than the dog had the day before, he was very ill, and im sure the anithetic has made him a bit brain slow, they did not even call me to ask if they could go ahead with the opp, my account came in at just under £700.00 that month, had I not had my own business It would have been a killer bill, when I challenged them about it they continued to lie, I then explained my niece had been present and they admited things had not gone well, they called the school and got lynsey in to trouble saying she had given out confidental information,
that was it, the problem was the vet I had trusted for years was now semi-retired and the new partner was just a money grabbing git,
I called a few vets but out of them all, James was the only vet to call back, I had talked to his staff but he had been in surgery, I was gob smacked he called me back to thank me about enquiering about the practice and could he help or answer any questions I had, we had a 30 min conversation and that was that, I just felt comfy with him and his staff, I have never been made to feel silly when I dont know what he is on about, he taught me how to listen for puppy murmours, you never feel rushed out of the door with him, he drops stuff off on his way home from work to save me a drive as he passes my house on his way home, my dogs love him and his staff, its just all GOOD with them,
It was a terrible thing trying to find a new vet you must have trust, I have that by the bucket load now, the thing that gets me is, I did not mind that the vet had made a mistake with kobbie, everyone makes mistakes but the fact they lied to me for days is unforgivable,
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2007, 12:42 PM
The family [inc. grandparents, aunts, uncles etc] all use and have used the same vet for a fair few decades now, they arent too expensive yet arent too cheap-offer a great service, have compassion for the animals, and most of all-they truly get to know you and your pets.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Again, word of mouth recommendation.

I stay with him because:
*I respect him
*he always takes the time to explain his diagnosis and the potential options
*he is not a rip-off merchant
*I have always been happy with the service he provides.

Other vets I have had seem to play on your love for your animals to extract as much money as they can from you - not so much a problem when you are insured (though still not good if they are recommending unnecessary treatment), but my pets are not (all older rescues and decided there were so many exclusions, it wasn't worth it.

I trust my vet to give me good advice, and not to use emotional blackmail to persuade me to pay for things which really aren't necessary.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 01:24 PM
hiya i wasnt to fussed with my first vet, it was a small practive with a bigger one in the next town, so my cat would be assed there....then we would then have to drive him 20mins away! seemed pointless!

needed a new vet & the one i found was medivet, open 24/7 with emerge vans and things! and the vert was soooooo nice! i started crying as my cat was hit by a bike & he nearly did to! he left to becaome partners in it or soemthing, but the new lady is nice to, can awlays get appointments etc! medivet is good! :grin
:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >