Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:23 AM

Rawhide Chews

Hi, I was just wondering at what age it is recommended to start giving a dog rawhide chews, will this be after the baby teeth have gone?
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I wouldnt give one at any age, I have heard to many bad experiances of them, and even had one of my Cavaliers nearly choke on a bit (big big)

I would stick with the nyla bones you can get big ones and diff tasting ones too.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Luna has had rawhide chews from I got her.... Everytime she tried to chew in me, I switched my arm for a rawhide chew, and she quickly stopped the biting.

She still has rawhide chews.... Its always available for her. She never gets the ones with knots in the ends though... Have heard terrible stories about those...
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:44 AM
I have always been told puppies shouldn't have rawhide at all.
Not sure why though!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Jeannete, what's wrong with knots at the end? do they choke on them or something?

I wouldn't leave him alone with one anyway, He's got kongs for that, but I was just wondering cos lots of people say u shouldn't give them to puppies.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I've done a search, and can't find anything why rawhide shouldn't be given to pups.
I don't know where I heard it either!!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I use nylabones too they last so much longer too. They are more expensive but that is reflected in their durability & lifespan compared to "normal" bones. I think if you look in the shops you can buy puppy Nylabones though I am not 100%.

Is it just for something to chew on Tuti? When ours were pups I used to soak an (old) dishcloth in water twist it then fold it and put it in the freezer when it was completley frozen they used to enjoy chewing on it - really soothed their gums. Lots of fun and no price, well the price of a dishcloth lol.

Laura
Charliefarley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Charlie has never been too keen on the nylabone bones but LOVES the dinasour shaped ones.I bought one in the States then saw they had them on the nylabone stand at Crufts.I've not seen them in the shops though

I don't give him rawhide of any kind as he likes to soften it up then swallow it whole
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm definitely not a fan of any kind of rawhide chews. Too scarey to watch them with that last "bit" which they then decide to swallow in one go - and sit there gagging on it gasping for breath! Bad news in my opinion, but each to their own.
Charliefarley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.christyscanines.com/rawhide.htm

http://www.doglogic.com/rawhide.htm

http://nmnm.essortment.com/rawhidechew_rbzt.htm

A few interesting links there about the dangers of rawhide.I don't risk it

'Tests on imported pet products made from animal hides by UK health authorities revealed many carried the salmonella bug, a common cause of gastro-intestinal infections in humans."
"They found that one in three batches imported from Thailand and one in eight from China contained salmonellas that had survived processing and manufacturing"

"Doctors warned that small children might be at most risk of infection, since they were especially likely to come into close contact with dogs and their chews."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >