register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do spectators at Crufts have the right to approach and touch exhibitors dogs without asking permissi
Yes...you should aways ask first 27 96.43%
NO....they pay for the privilege 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-03-2005, 05:24 PM
As in so many things in life, a bit of thoughtfulness and consideration would make everyone's life a lot easier. Some people are just dumb and some are, well you know.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I would reply ask first but to look at it from another angle ....the peeps who pay to go to crufts are all dog lovers and if they walk by the benches and see a dog unattended they feel sorry for it ( I would ) they don't know whether its been alone for 5 minutes or 50 minutes and so by giving the dog a stroke they may feel as though they are being nice to the dog -they probably don't realise they are doing wrong -and to be perfectly honest ( dons hat ) if a dog is so stressed that it can't accept a stroke then should it be at a show ?? after all these are supposed to be the best of the best
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Many of these dogs get 'hyped' and excited.Many get VERY tired and want to be left in peace.Is t too much to ask?
Should it be at a show if it gets tired of being prodded and poked by strangers YES!!!!!!!! These people should be more thoughtful.
People pay to go and see dogs at Crufts...the same as people pay to go to a car or bike show/exhibition.I'll tell you in no uncertain terms if my OH had his bike in a show and came back to find someone sitting on it they would not like the response they got.
These dogs are trained to be benched.They are used to it.They are highly strug in many cases and thats what gives them that 'edge' in the ring.They know why they're there and are excited and wound up.
How many people would approach a dog tied outside a shop....not many....whats the difference? Because the persons paid to 'look' ?
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 05:45 PM
I think peeps think they are being thoughtfull -I understand what your saying -I was just trying to show it from the other side -maybe the benched areas shouldn't be accessable to the public then -just the owners

as for the 'paid to look' bit.....well yes ! they have paid to look -to a certain extent -I didn't say that I agreed with prodding and poking a tired dog -but to the average Joe Crufts is about the top of the range dogs and as such peeps expect them to be of bombproof temperament ( rightly or wrongly I don't know )
We keep hearing about how much the dogs enjoy it but there's a difference between a hyped 'up for it ' dog and a stressed dog .

Just trying to look from a different angle that all
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 06:05 PM
I hear what you're saying.99% of these dogs are bombproof....but no one can expect even the most placid of dogs to get grumpy after a hard days work if pushed enough.
I would like to see polite notices placed at strategic places requesting spectators to refrain from touching dogs without the owners permission.
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree with you Archer, after all the dog is my property. I have no qualms with anybody stroking my dog, after i've been in the ring!. Many a time im waiting to go in the ring and somebody starts to stroke her. You don't touch things in state homes etc so why a dog at Crufts.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2005, 06:32 PM
you should always ask first.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2005, 07:20 PM
It is only manners to ask, plus the ability to pass infections in some where as busy Cruft's, is so easy, and yet unseen until days after you return home.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
I hear what you're saying.99% of these dogs are bombproof....but no one can expect even the most placid of dogs to get grumpy after a hard days work if pushed enough.
I would like to see polite notices placed at strategic places requesting spectators to refrain from touching dogs without the owners permission.
I agree with you -maybe the way to go is to leave a notice on a unattended dog or make the benched areas owner/handler only
-but i don't think people mean harm by it
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I noticed today that a lot of the dobes had bench guards which I think are a really good idea maybe they should have these for all dogs. I dont think that gp should be able to access to dogs in benches, if you go to a horse show say Millstreet in Ireland you need a pass to have access to the stable block or excerise area why shouldnt it be the same for dog shows?
Mary
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >