Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 08:59 AM

The dog trainer woman and the husky Diesel

That's the one tonight isn't it? I'm really looking forward to seeing this one.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Diesel is a nine-month-old wolf-like Siberian Husky who's literally tearing his owners - and their relationship - apart. Becky had never owned a dog before, and wanted to get a Chihuahua. But boyfriend Jordan drew the line at a "girly dog" and decided on man's best friend, in this case a Siberian husky. Puppy-sized he fitted snugly into their small Leeds home, but as he's grown into a full-size dog, his over-exuberant "playfulness" has developed into dangerous aggression and biting. And diminutive Becky is bearing the brunt of it. Every day she's subjected to a mauling and the pressure is growing to get rid of the dog. Canine behaviour expert Victoria Stilwell is the couple's - and Diesel's - last hope. Can she tame his seriously wild ways? From the moment she gets there, Victoria witnesses such shocking behaviour from Diesel she's forced into drastic action. The dog may look like a wolf, but Victoria reveals that no wolf would ever behave as badly as this husky.
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Victoria Stilwell - I have been watching these programs - I cannot believe what I see - I'm sure it is not as instantaneous like they show - is this lady well known as a dog trainer – and does anyone have an opinion about her ‘methods’. I’m a bit cynical I’m afraid not convinced at all - but open to convincing
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 09:13 AM
hi

I actually got the book that accompanies the program - its very very good - easy to read, simple to understand - explains about communicating with ur dog, about feeding habits, pack leadership, etc - but all in a good positive way -think its excellent - and its not training the dog its training the human to understand the dog .

She originally trained to be an actress and then took up dog walking to make ends meet - then went into dog behaviour from there. she works alot in the states with the american humane society, alot of emphasis in her book is that if you dont sort it out then you have the possibility of having your dog given up to rescue due to hbehaviour problems etc -

I like her style - agree the program doesnt explain how long it all takes - but I like the fact that she says what she thinks and makes the owners realise its their fault not the dogs !!!

dani
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
yes - I like her style - also I would despair of some of the owners - just never heard of her
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tirnanog
Victoria Stilwell - I have been watching these programs - I cannot believe what I see - I'm sure it is not as instantaneous like they show - is this lady well known as a dog trainer – and does anyone have an opinion about her ‘methods’. I’m a bit cynical I’m afraid not convinced at all - but open to convincing
I have come across a few threads (on different forums) about Victoria and her training methods, my thoughts are:

1. She uses positive training methods
2. She makes the public aware that behaviourist and trainers exist (you'd be surprised how many pet owners don't know this )
3. She has highlighted the plight of rescue centres and has quoted the pts number per minuted (can't actually remember the figure at the moment )
4. She has made the public aware that most dog behavioural problems are actually casued by their owners - too much pampering etc)
5. She tells them how it is - in a firm but nice way of course
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm dreading tonights programme - incase they say the only option is to have the dog pts because of his biting

What bugs me about the programme is the way they make it seem instantaneous (sp?) - I think a lot of people will watch try the methods and when they don't get it right or the dog dosen't understand they will give up and feel the dog is untrainable.

I really wish they would show a responsible dog training programme where they explain how the dog learns, teach us to understand a dogs body language, and explain sometimes it takes some dogs a bit longer to learn.

But I guess that wouldn't be exciting enough for the producers who want people to be talking about the "miracle" trainer who can cure a dog in a couple of minutes
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 10:13 AM
I like the program, but agree that it makes it seem like everything is a quick fix!
It should have words on the bottom of the screen, or the guy voicing over could say "3 weeks later....."
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Yeah I agree with all that. I like her methods too. I guess things do have to look to be resolved that quickly for a half hour slot - bit like Super Nanny, all of a sudden all's well. I'm sure it takes a bit longer than that.

It would be good to see a follow up months and months later and see if the owners kept it up.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Becky used to live next door to me until she and Jordan set up home, her family is still next door. Diesel is a beautiful pup, but needs to know his place.I do actually know some of what went on during the making of the show,but wont spoil it for everybody.I'm looking forward to seeing it too.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »