Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Ridiculous babyish behavior

So I've moved my room furniture around. I moved my bed away from Nigredo's bed because he's so big now that the corner it was in between my bed and the closet door is now making him have to scrunch up to lay on it. Because of this he had begun jumping on my bed again, which is an absolute no-no now.

I have discovered that he will not lay on the dog bed because it is too far from my bed! I did NOT anticipate this at all. That is why it's irritating me. He is a year old and he's a very independent dog normally, which is why this "puppylike" behavior stunned me.

We had some serious issues last night with him jumping up on my bed (which as I said will not be tolerated at ALL) and he was made to get down (I simply say "get down" and he hops right down) about 4 or 5 times before he gave up.

Then he fidgeted really badly for a long time on the floor next to my bed, constantly getting up and shifting because he doesn't like laying on the floor now. Now I am awake because he will not be still.

The day has come and gone where he is a baby and will be treated like one. I'm not moving his bed closer to mine, and I'm not letting him up on my bed. Those two things are non negotiable.

At first he didn't want his dog bed once I decided he was going to be too large to lay in my bed... but he got used to it eventually and loved it. I know this will be the same, he's a very adaptable dog... but perhaps I could speed it along?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2014, 09:28 AM
which is why this "puppylike" behavior stunned me.
This is not puppy like behaviour its dog behaviour, you have moved things around, you have removed his comfort zone, the mistake some people make (as with this) is to suddenly cut off the dogs privileges without any easing in.

You have allowed your dog for 12 mths to sleep on your bed, in close contact with you, then you decide he is to old to be allowed those privileges, and take them away from him, he is going to protest, its only natural.

He does not understand you now consider him an adult and has to act like one.

You need to give him time , some dogs don't like change, maybe bring the bed closer to you and gradually move it to where you want it.

Stop thinking he is now a grown up and should understand.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 09:48 AM
He is sometimes allowed to jump up with me for a while in the daytime, but at night he isn't allowed in my bed.

This has been happening for quite some time, many, many months now. This isn't new. He knows not to jump in my bed once my lights are off, and he never does this anymore... but protested last night because of the dog bed situation.

I'm not making any mistakes, merely changes. All I did was move his dog bed to the other side of my (very small) room. It will take him probably a week maximum to get back to laying on his dog bed without any intervention from anybody.

I am going to give him the time... as stated in my OP, I just thought that perhaps something could help him adjust... without moving the dog bed, because I really don't want to do that. He will quickly grow weary of staying awake at night, and all will be well again.

Thanks for the advice, though.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Agree with Jackie.
Things have changed a bit,you can see the logic and necessity,he can't
Think you have the right attutide and have no choice to stick to your guns,but it'll take a little time for him to get used to it.Some dogs would whine and cry all night,so I guess he's really doing pretty well
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Oh,just read that first sentence again.
Imagine that would be a bit confusing Sometimes he's allowed up,sometimes he isn't Personally don't get that.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
So I've moved my room furniture around. I moved my bed away from Nigredo's bed because he's so big now that the corner it was in between my bed and the closet door is now making him have to scrunch up to lay on it. Because of this he had begun jumping on my bed again, which is an absolute no-no now.
Out of interest how long was he allowed on your bed for?

There is a school of thought that says "if you don't want your dog to learn something then don't teach it in the first place"

It's much, much harder to change the boundaries once you have made them, he may never completely get why he can't do something he once could. If you don't want him up there anymore it's best to NEVER let him up there again, he still won't understand but at least he will then have consistency in your behaviour.

As Jackie said it's not puppy behaviour it's just dog behaviour, it would be worth going back to rewarding him for the behaviour you want - ie treat in his bed.

Consistency in all things is the key

If I could consistently eat good food I would be thin........
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Mixed messages are not good for dogs. Allowing him on the bed 'sometimes' but not other times is akin to allowing him to chew up all your 'old' shoes but not your good ones! How is he supposed to know the difference.

As I understand what you wrote, he probably felt quite 'secure' hemmed in with his bed next to yours (and dogs don't mind being 'scrunched up' they seem to be able to sleep in the most ridiculous positions and small spaces or with half their body hanging off a couch or whatever.

If the main problem is that you don't want him SLEEPING on your bed you should be addressing that and not thinking he is getting on there because he hasn't got enough room for him to get comfy in his own bed. He is getting on there because, given the choice, most dogs would rather sleep on the bed with the human company than on the floor on their own.

A permanent solution would be to keep him out of the bedroom if you can't stop him getting on the bed. I wouldn't want to be awake half the night telling the dog to 'get down' - not a happy night for either of you.

A one year old dog (especially a big one) is not a 'grown up' dog in my opinion.

You might have to look at re-training him as to where he sleeps at night.

The dogs I had that were not allowed on beds were not even allowed upstairs at any time. Much easier for the whole bedroom to be out of bounds than just the bed.

No gates or closed rooms involved - they slept on a big turning stair half way up a 3 turn staircase. They knew they weren't allowed further up than that. Both big dogs and if I had another very big dog now she wouldn't be sleeping on my bed either. Tiny dogs no bigger than cats are a different matter!

Bella sleeps on my bed but doesn't always go to bed same time as I do (especially not since I got the day bed!) Sometimes disappears before me, sometimes comes in during the night after I am asleep.

But when she has stayed at my family's homes she has had to sleep downstairs and when others have stayed here in my apartment and been given my bedroom she is not allowed in there then and gets used to that quickly. When my neighbours had her in Oct for 3 weeks she was not allowed in their bedrooms and they said she got the message in 2 days. When I visited them recently and was showing someone their flat she stopped dead at the bedroom doorway and wouldn't go in. She remembered she isn't allowed in there.

As with all things dog related my view is you have to have patience and be CONSISTENT with them. Even if it bores the pants off of you. No good relenting or back tracking for the sake of peace and quiet or because you are tired or can't be bothered or have company and don't want the dog 'playing up'. Just do and say the same thing all the time gently but firmly.
Hiker
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-01-2014, 11:20 AM
This may not work for your dog, but this would definitely work on mine.
Just before I would go to bed, I would lay down in his bed and face away from him. When he would come over to investigate what the hell I was doing in his bed, I would shoo him sway.
30 secs later I would get up, he would go to his bed, sniff around, do the circle walk and plonk himself down. That would be it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
This may not work for your dog, but this would definitely work on mine.
Just before I would go to bed, I would lay down in his bed and face away from him. When he would come over to investigate what the hell I was doing in his bed, I would shoo him sway.
30 secs later I would get up, he would go to his bed, sniff around, do the circle walk and plonk himself down. That would be it.
Well I hope that would work. Even if it doesn't thank you for the good laugh. I have this clear mental picture of you curling up in your dog's bed lol!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Well he still has a lot of growing up to do mentally at 1 and being a larger breed. Dillon is turned 2 and still acting up but patiently showing him the way works there is no real quick fix though.
Dillon had lived for a month short of 2 years in the same home then we moved. He has had to get use to a lot of changes and me too and we have had some issues but with help and support from Dogsey mates and them gently telling me to also take his feelings into consideration we are now back to where we use to be in fact we are further on as he is now maturing mentally albeit slowly.
Slightly different to your situation but Dillon for almost 2 years his choice had always chosen to sleep downstairs the night we moved here he decided he wanted to sleep in our room. For weeks which seemed forever he would get on the bed with us and play merry hell. A few times he was manhandled off and settled on the floor well his quilt he has downstairs which was carried upstairs. He was then praised but we seemed to have to go through this ritual of misbehaviour.
I then decided to buy him another quilt just for upstairs and kept biscuits in the bedside drawer in a week he learnt as soon as he got off the bed and settled he got a biscuit .
Now we go up to bed he lays on the bed while I am in the bathroom and undressing then when he see's me about to get into bed he hops down and settles on his own bed or the rug he also does this for OH when he is home weekends. He doesn't need a biscuit any more either.
We always tell him he is a good boy and night night and we now have no bother at all from him.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >