View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 03:28 PM

My puppy keeps sitting on my older dogs head!

I know this may sound silly, but...My 4 month old puppy keeps sitting on my older dogs head...

Is there a reason for this? Is it harmless fun or is she trying to dominate him?

Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
My mums puppy Amber (6 months) does this to one of my dogs Totts (2 yrs) but wouldnt think of doing it to my oldest dog Muffin (14 yrs) so I think it is a dominance thing. Muffin tells her off if she does anything "unacceptable" but Totts lets her away with blue murder and Amber often tries to show her who's boss lol. She only does it with Totts so we leave them to it. They seem to be making there own little pack order lol She also consistently puts her lady parts in Totts face :s possibly just trying to learn manners i dont know. Would be interested to see if anyone has an exact reason and if it should be avoided or is ok?
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
My mums puppy Amber (6 months) does this to one of my dogs Totts (2 yrs) but wouldnt think of doing it to my oldest dog Muffin (14 yrs) so I think it is a dominance thing. Muffin tells her off if she does anything "unacceptable" but Totts lets her away with blue murder and Amber often tries to show her who's boss lol. She only does it with Totts so we leave them to it. They seem to be making there own little pack order lol She also consistently puts her lady parts in Totts face :s possibly just trying to learn manners i dont know. Would be interested to see if anyone has an exact reason and if it should be avoided or is ok?
Yes, Roxy keeps putting her lady bits up to Kaisers face too!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Dominance from a tiny puppy? I don`t think so. He wants to play and to cuddle. And why not? He`s a baby.
Dogs don`t form packs. They do form social groups, but these are flexible. We just tend to call them packs cos it`s shorter.
There`s a good article on dominance here - http://www.caninebehaviour.co.uk/ind...ntry&Itemid=69
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Amber is so funny when she does it. She looks so proud of herself standing on Totts back

"Im the king of the castle" comes to mind

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Dogs don`t form packs. They do form social groups, but these are flexible. We just tend to call them packs cos it`s shorter.
And yeh thats what I meant by pack. If they formed an actual "pack" I would be screwed lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
If they formed an actual "pack" I would be screwed lol
I know the feeling.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
As long as they're happy? I'm happy! And if that means sitting on each others heads, so be it!

Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Dominance from a tiny puppy? I don`t think so. He wants to play and to cuddle. And why not? He`s a baby.
There`s a good article on dominance here - http://www.caninebehaviour.co.uk/ind...ntry&Itemid=69
That was a really interesting read. Thanks
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Lets just hope the beautiful bulldog pup, dosent get a taste of his own medicine
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 04:40 PM
That is sooooooooo cute!

It's just love, just getting as close as she can
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >