Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2005, 07:32 PM

Sore Pads - how to treat?

Hi Guys

A bit of advice please - yet again Otis has been in the wars!!

been out for his usual walk and was kicking a ball about in the ice/snow and ickle Otis was skidding about. Got him home and saw he had starting limping. Didn't notice anything at first but the little monkey just jumped on my lap and let out a little yelp. I checked his pads again and he has completely taken all the top layer of skin off the little pads without claws on the very back of his front paws (sorry i dont know what they are called).

They are both raw and have been bleeding. But he is still limping around and now wont get off his cushion. Any reccomendations?

jodie x
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2005, 08:21 PM
If you dab surgical spirit onto the pads 2-3 times a day-this will harden the skin in time.I had to do this with my old Rottie cause he suffered with his paws.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2005, 08:31 PM
thanks steve - that made my eyes water though!!!

will do that when the sore has healed slightly.

j x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Aw poor little chap..they are snow burns and I would bathe them a weak warm saline solution of half of 1 small teaspoon of salt to a pint of boiled cooled water and keep an eye on them ...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Yep, I agree with Mini - warm salt water does wonders for wounds. You may want to restrict him to lead walking for a bit as well whilst they heal
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2005, 11:03 PM
For the cold snowy weather I put paw wax on my 2's paws. It gives them some protection from the salt and grit on the pavements.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

29-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Heres a link with some suggestions, definately wait for them to heal before using surgical spirits tho Hope they heal soon for the poor fella

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/gro...onditions2.htm
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Ouch, sounds painful.

Hope they heal really quickly, kisses to him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2005, 08:19 PM
If you smear some Vasalene on your dog's paws before going out in he snow and ice, this helps protect them as it can't "cling" to their paws or ball up, and will probably help too with all the running around in it. We used to do this with our horse's feet before putting them out in the snow as it would all compact in their feet and they would be walking on 4" heels! Just a thought. Sadly I don't need to do it as we don't have any down here still!
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your advice once again!! i know i am a novice at owning a dog, but i completely forgot the traumas i would come across would also be seasonal!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >