Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fjfenton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Chews for puppies

At what age can a puppy start having rawhide chews?
Also is there a minimum age for a puppy to have a bone?
Thanks
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 01:32 PM
i wouldnt say there is a minimum age for things like chews, just keep and eye on the puppy.

also what type of bone do you mean? for instance mine were having raw chicken wings at 8 weeks old, they had the odd bones with filling in as a treat. but i dont leave my dogs unsupervised.
fjfenton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i wouldnt say there is a minimum age for things like chews, just keep and eye on the puppy.

also what type of bone do you mean? for instance mine were having raw chicken wings at 8 weeks old, they had the odd bones with filling in as a treat. but i dont leave my dogs unsupervised.
It was the 'filled' bones I had in mind.

My puppy is 9 weeks old and very 'chewy' which is why I was wondering if rawhide chews would be OK. I have bought her nylabone and kong toys but these are not nearly as 'tasty' as our shoes etc.
However, I have also read that rawhide can cause blockages or splinters can tear the puppies tummy & intestine...is this just worse case scenario?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by fjfenton View Post
It was the 'filled' bones I had in mind.

My puppy is 9 weeks old and very 'chewy' which is why I was wondering if rawhide chews would be OK. I have bought her nylabone and kong toys but these are not nearly as 'tasty' as our shoes etc.
However, I have also read that rawhide can cause blockages or splinters can tear the puppies tummy & intestine...is this just worse case scenario?
with the filled bones, it could be the filling that could cause problems as it may be a bit rich and give your pup the runs.

nothing is ever as tasty as what they cant have have you tried stuffing the kong with things the puppy likes to eat?

as for raw hide, i think it is the worst case, i never leave mine unsupervised with them as they can tear off big chunks and swallow them and they do tend to go quite soggy.

what about giving your pup a raw chicken wing? (what breed is your pup?) you may find with little teeth and jaws it will take a while to chew, so keep pup entertained, but again dont leave unsupervised.
fjfenton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2012, 02:23 PM
shes a yorkie
would prefer not to give raw chicken wings as I have 2 young children and think that the risk of salmonella etc is worse than with her having something like rawhide
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by fjfenton View Post
shes a yorkie
would prefer not to give raw chicken wings as I have 2 young children and think that the risk of salmonella etc is worse than with her having something like rawhide
do you not have a crate for her or somewhere with a hard floor? that way she can eat it without the children touching it, and you can wipe the floor or crate down with a disinfectant spray? or even let her have it on a towel which can go straight in the wash?

if you really dont want to. then maybe try things like pigs ears, cow hooves, tripe sticks etc.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Antlers chews are great for any age
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 03:55 PM
My personal preference is not to feed rawhide until their adult teeth come in.

Tripe sticks and fish sticks (look at Fish 4 Dogs range of dried fish treats) would be absolutely perfect for a Yorkie pup.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I used to give my pups frozen carrots. They still love them today
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I know of a small puppy who got serious diarrhoea after eating about half of one of those green minty dental chews.

I'd be careful giving any chew stuff that is filled or heavily impregnated with any flavourings to make it attractive to the dog.

I seem to recall the warning about dog's age was in miniscule lettering (hardly visible without a magnifying glass) and under the bit of cello wrapping that is folded over.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >