Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 06:49 AM

Feeling sorry for myself..

So Louie's pulling on the lead has gotten worse - OH walked him last week and I know he just put up with it rather than what I've shown him to do..

I now have a two - three inch long and an inch wide bruise on my wrist..

However on the good side - his heelwork offlead is brill lately (when on a the fields - not on paths etc)
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:26 AM
It is a nightmare when you have a pully dog isnt it, my old Ted used to pull my arm of when he was on lead off lead he would walk beautifully to heal Im afraid to say I never did manage to get him to heal.
You will have to start training that OH of yours
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:38 AM
We go through this phase I almost gave Millie up when I was feeling ultra sorry for myself. She had turned nasty and it was'nt just puppy bitting she was snapping snarling at us when we approach and genrally being unpleasent and agressive but it past and im glad I did'nt give her up as I would not be able to see her blosom into the lovely shy pup she is noww.

I am haveing problems with her but im pleased to say we do'nt have an agression problem anymore just the lead problem. She pulls too but when she is confused or frightened she stops point blank she has done this since she we started taking her out on her walks been walking her for three months now you would think she would be familiar with her suroundings by now. She is no longer frightened of dogs or people either i am pleased to say and its very common to recieve comments like how happy she looks.

When their are problems with our dog especially with first time dog owners its not unusual to feel unhappy/sorry for ones self when things arn't going to plan especially when we put all that training in.

Hope things go a bit more smoothly, i am trying something with Millie at the moment and that is to walk in a zig zag way when the dog starts to pull I keep her on shorter lead and hold it with two hands as I feel more comfortable that way with the dog at my side rather then in front. Every time she pulls I walk in a zig zag it does seem to work as Millie gets a bit tired of the uneveness.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Put a no pull harness on unless you have time to train with a flat collar.

TBH---I see no problem with using one all the time. Celts HW is brilliant but he used to be a nightmare actually on lead---so I used the harness. Ben uses it now. Reduces stress bigtime!

rune
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Agree, Rune. Good advice.

I also see no problem with using one all the time, plus I suggest using one when there is no time to train, and the owner has to get from A to B quickly... much better than all that stress, which nobody likes!

Wys
x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Agree with above replies, why not use a harness or head collar, if it means makign your walks earlier.

Better that than not take the dog out or get injured.

Have a friend who GSD (when young) succeeded in breaking her wrist , pulling her over to many times, she eventually bought a head collar and life was so much easier for her.

The dog now 4, walks a treat on a normal collar and lead, but in that between period , the head collar was invaluable, as she got the the stage she could not take him out.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I've just bought (cos their old ones got frayed and although I'll repair them as spares I don't quite trust them as main leads) two of those Halti leads which are nicely padded - might reduce the pain factor a bit if nothing else?

Hubby walks Layton letting him get away with blue murder as well, even shoving the lead round his wrist and shoving his hands in his pocket - drives me nuts.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I have a headcollar for Teg when I'm road walking with other dogs as he forgets all his nice lead walking!
Have you tried a headcollar on him?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Lead pulling is sooooo frustrating and it totally ruins walks (try walking Cain, who can't be let off lead so never get a break from it ) Cain used to be horrific a lead pulling. He is much better now but it's taken a whole year of time and patience, it was not easy at all. I still use a Halti but this is mostly to control him if he lunges. He still "inches" ahead on the start of walks and it winds me up, but he is 100000% better than he was, but it does take time. You have my sympathy!
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2011, 02:53 PM
My sammy on lead/collar is a total nightmare in fact i wouldnt walk him like that ever again, halti bought and if he pull's all his life im not bothered as the halti is brilliant, i love walking him now. I did try the harness but he would put all his weight into it and made him worse, but he his a daft bullmastif cross rotty lol. But yes get the OH to do exactly what you do as i tought my missus how to walk him on the halti.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >