Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Tick awareness and prevention

Over the weekend, I was speaking to people from BADA UK who were promoting Tick Prevention Week in April...

Their website has a section dedicated to Ticks and Pets with some good information.

I thought it's something we should highlight on Dogsey, as we probably all walk our dogs (and ourselves) in areas where there could be ticks.

The website is well worth a read, and although it does focus on the worst-case-scenario type stuff, it's very interesting.

I found out that Calendula (essential) oil can be used on dogs and humans as a tick repellant, which is good, as I already have some in the house.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 11:08 AM
interesting about the Calendula oil, do you know how you would apply that to a dog? Would you have to rub it all over?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Nope, a couple of drops of oil to the back of the neck in parted fur/hair - like a spot-on treatment.... lasts a couple of weeks, but they recommend topping up if you are going somewhere that you know is full of ticks...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for those links Shelley - I will try the Candula oil thing as soo as I can get my hands on some. Spotted the first ticks on our two yesterday as soon as the snow melts they are there
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks

I must admit, I'm never quite sure how a couple of drops in one place can act as a repellent, but I'll certainly give it a go and see what happens
Chicos-Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Thats interesting, luckily I've not had problems with ticks as of yet, but a friends dog has had a lot recently, so will pass that on