Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Crating velcro vizsla- help!!!

Hi all, when we first got our vizsla puppy we put him in a crate but never left him in there. I'm at home all day so do spend alot of time with him. Like a fool after only a week or so I put the crate away saying what a good boy we have he never tries to chew anything-which is true he never has. BUT- now I've decided to get the crate back out because my velcro vizsla won't let me go anywhere without him. He's 5 months old now can I still train him? It's only gonna be for when I need to pop out and hopefully build it up over time. Yes - I know, rod for my own back and hindsight is a wonderful thing! Any help would be welcome.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 03:17 PM
He is only 5 months old, so he will be fine to 're-train'...

This would be the method I would use and it presumes a 'safe room' rather than a crate, but the principle is the same.

Firstly, is there a room you can put him in safely on his own? I'd suggest getting a babygate for the door, if you've not got one. You can get 'dog gates' from Argos, that are the same as usual babygates, but about 4ft high.

Start to leave your pup in the 'safe' room (mine is the kitchen) just for a minute. Pop where he can't see you. Then return - but don't make a fuss of him. Simply enter the room and get on with a simple task.

Do this frequently, slowly building up the time you are out of the room.

He needs to understand that a) he can't be everywhere with you and b) you WILL come back, but when you are ready.

You can leave him with a special toy, or chew whilst you are gone. Stuffed Kongs or other filled toys are good, or a little dentachew-type chewers would be good.

My boys (who are used to being left now) immediately run to their beds when I open the utility room door in a morning before work. They know that before I go out, they get a dentastick and a dried cows ear, and that they only get it when sat on their bed nicely!!

It will take a while to train him into this - don't worry if he barks or cries. But only return when he is quiet, as you don't want him thinking that when he makes a noise you'll come back!

Hope this helps a bit!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 04:02 PM
What I did with my girls to get them used to the crate was to sit next to them while they were in the crate until they went to sleep. My Slovak had to be dragged kicking and screaming to her crate at first, but now goes in there willingly.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I got my Bailey when he was 5 months. He'd never been in a crate, in fact, he had only ever slept with his owner on the bed at night since she'd got him as a pup. He immediately took to crate training without any hitches. Just crated him for short periods at first and built up the time. He's never slept on our beds (or indeed been in the bedrooms) so just shows they can accept changes quite comfortably, so long as you put some thought into it
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-08-2009, 07:35 PM
No worries, you can definitely retrain your dog no matter how old as long as you put forth on your part and as long as you are consistent.

Thumbs up to IsoChick for that great post, it is a good way to build up your dog's confidence.

Here is another way you can boost your dog's self esteem so that he may be better able to being alone for a while.

If your pooch loves going on walks then this might be a good method for you. This exercise not only teaches a less confident dog that it can do things without you but it also teaches the dog that he/she can safely be around strangers, it is gear to help those dogs that have an extreme attachment to one person in specific. That being said, the best way to go about this is to invite a person your dog doesn’t know. All three of your go on a walk, and after a couple minutes release the lead to the other person. Slowly distance yourself from the two and if your dog doesn’t react negatively keep increasing the distance. If for any reason your dog becomes uneasy, get a little closer up until your pooch no longer seem stressed and continue on. When your dog is focused with something else increase the distance a little more so that your dog doesn’t even notice. Slowly and steadily you will be able to increase this gap without distressing your pooch. During this time occasionally allow the stranger to give the pooch a tidbit. All this should be done at the pace and comfort level of your individual dog.

Try the following if there are problems with whining or barking while in the crate too:

Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP): There are certain plug-ins that will release pheromones into the air that calm some dogs down when they are panicking. These imitate pheromones released by whelping dogs to help soothe the pups down. Giving it a try is worth it to see if they have a calming effect on your particular pooch.

Large Meal & Walk: If at all possible, try taking your dog our for a quick run to tire them out before you leave. Then, about an hour later, give them a large portion of their daily meal (Avoid feeding immediately after running, especially in deep chested breeds, as this may result in bloat). The combination of feeling full as well as being tired from the walk will usually induce sleep, this way your pooch is sleeping for the majority of the period while you are gone.

Radio & TV: Some say that leaving the radio or tv gone while you are gone may help some dogs cope with the stress of being left alone. This may or may not work depending of the severity of the separation anxiety

It is of utmost important never to give in and take the puppy out in order to stop its fussing. If you take out a puppy when it is whining, it teaches him that he can get out by whining, causing more persistent whining the next time he is crated. Feeding it tidbits will also reinforce the effectiveness of barking or whining. For noisy pups it is just a matter of ignoring it until it quiets down (easier said than done, I know). If the pup is taken out when he is quiet, this teaches the puppy that he will get what he wants if he is quiet. However if the puppy is quiet for a time and all of the sudden starts to whine, suspect that he might need to go to the bathroom, and take him outside quickly and without much fuss.

Sometimes the reassuring presence of his owner will be enough to stop the constant whining. Putting the crate in your room is an option. If this alternative is not convenient in your particular circumstance, another reassuring method is to take clothing with your scent (such as a sweater) and place it in the crate with the pup. If for some reason the pup takes to chewing and shredding whatever you place in the crate yet isn‘t quiet without it, then simply place the blanket over the crate to allow the scent to soothe the pup but also prevents him from chewing on it.

Hope that helps!
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll give the tips and advice a go. I know I'll have to take it slowly though.