Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Speaking to some one last night about the kennel cough jab

And I was squirming at the thought, I haven't needed to cover any of my dogs for Kennel cough before.
My nieghbor goes on hols in a couple of weeks and her dog needed the jab before going into the kennels, she told me they inject it up in the nose I felt physically sick for the dog, who is 10 years old and probs could do without the upset, poor Bobbi...
Is that right, she said the vet said they get better cover from the jab if its done in the nose , up in the nostril I told her that was verging on cruelty.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
It's not actually an 'injection'.
It does go up the nose, but they squirt it up there, not use a needle!

It does look uncomfortable for them, but its over really quickly!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Just like us using a nasal spray
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Yep its exactly like a nasal spray. Neither of my guys were bothered when they had theirs done. Murphy was licking his nose and looking like he enjoyed the taste....... lol. I actually thought it was a great way to do it and better than a traditional injection with a needle.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I have just started a thread on this as Fudge is traumatised everytime she has to have hers. Our vet is also very sceptical about how much stays as they sneeze and shake straight after....
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Thank goodness its not a sore one, but your right about the sneezing and shaking thing, I would think most of it would come back down...I'll need to apologise to the woman now cause I told her she was cruel, it can't be nice for the dog though because Bobbi bit her husband !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Thank goodness its not a sore one, but your right about the sneezing and shaking thing, I would think most of it would come back down...I'll need to apologise to the woman now cause I told her she was cruel, it can't be nice for the dog though because Bobbi bit her husband !
I think it is more to do with the vet having to hold the nose still , so he/she can get the drops into the nasal passage.. rather than it hurting the dog or being uncomfortable .

Agree though I always wonder how much actually goes up the nose , as they sneeze it straight back out
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
My two greyhounds had it once before they went to stay in a dog hotel for six nights while me and hubby went abroad to get marriedl!!!!

They didn't bat an eyelid to be honest just a quick squirt over in a second like a nasel spray, they are wussy dogs and hate the vets but this was probably the easiest procedure they have had done and didn't mind one bit.