Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Whoa!!!!!!Everyone!!!

Firstly i feel a organised dog walk could be a great thing, esp if someone has some guidence to help novicey owners.

I have no idea if Billy is any good or not, & although i HATE the who Alpha mumbo jumbo, some of those who practise it arent nasty, just abit ...(its hard to find the words without being rude or patornising so i wont say anything)

If its going to help dogs & owners its great , If its going to promote more scared bullied robotic dogs with no expression then its bad!!! I guess its all down to Billy!

So before i pass judgement id like to hear of some of what Billy does! I didnt read anything into the "Hands on" other than "practical", which is good, but may mean abit blinkered if they havent been to courses/read/ etc with other methods.

Cant be bothered to google the Website
Billy1111
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Whoa!!!!!!Everyone!!!

Firstly i feel a organised dog walk could be a great thing, esp if someone has some guidence to help novicey owners.

I have no idea if Billy is any good or not, & although i HATE the who Alpha mumbo jumbo, some of those who practise it arent nasty, just abit ...(its hard to find the words without being rude or patornising so i wont say anything)

If its going to help dogs & owners its great , If its going to promote more scared bullied robotic dogs with no expression then its bad!!! I guess its all down to Billy!

So before i pass judgement id like to hear of some of what Billy does! I didnt read anything into the "Hands on" other than "practical", which is good, but may mean abit blinkered if they havent been to courses/read/ etc with other methods.

hey you thank you thanks so much , i am so glad you get it .
i should have put practical , and alpha perhaps isn't the right term. Allit is is i do , what i do
Dogs respond sucessfully to what i do , and i have helped owners thats what i do , i do not know the right words to explain what i do , i just do it .thank you so much for being nice
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Whoa!!!!!!Everyone!!!

Well I was just sat here thinking the self same thing Mich! If he's out to teach numskulls with dogs who haven't got a clue, then surely that's better than those dogs being sent into rescue coz they haven't a clue as to how to control them. That's what people do, I've seen it here in my little village, if they get a puppy that turns out to be out of control or they can't cope with it, they pack it off to the rescue and get another one, so if there's somebody offering to help them out for free, why knock it?

I don't buy this alpha business either, but sometimes without knowing it, I probably do use some of it to get what I want out of my dog, I just don't know, coz I'm not interested enough to find out exactly what the Alpha regime is all about quite honestly, but whatever works for me be it right or wrong, as long as I'm not terrorising my dog or causing fear in it or hurting it and letting it be a dog and not a robot, then that's what I'll carry on doing! Maybe that's just what this Billy does too, he might try a bit of this and a bit of that with a particular dog, and whatever seems to be working for it, he'll carry on with that maybe?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I think its great then, as long as its done:
* fairly
* dogs "understand" what they are being askked
* there is no OTT dominance in the handling

Letting dogs relax , enjoy being dogs with dog body language is a good thing.

The thing is there are lots of good trainers on here, maybe its a little much to blow your own trumpet "quite" so soon!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Unfortunately, you chose to post while there were a few threads raging with debate over dominance/pack structure etc. As soon as it was discovered you use the dreaded 'alpha' word on your site, things were bound to get a bit tasty...

For what it's worth, I do believe (If that's the right word...) that pack/family/social group structure is important and that I should hold the alpha male position in our little pack! I do that by acting like I expect to be in charge not by continually inflicting my will on our dog, dishing out punishment when I don't get my own way. I'm guessing that you're well aware of that being how it should work from what you've said subsequent to the probably out of context quote from your site. (The one I possibly too hastily commented on earlier... )

Anyway, I hope that clears up why you've been greeted with what appears to be hostility. It's basically that to some, you represent an outmoded & discredited way of dealing with dogs rather than the (In my opinion.) the latest wishy washy fashionably research. I'm off to dig out my flame retardant suit now.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Nah - we had a guy on before with one. He didn`t have public liability insurance. So I didn`t go to that one either.
Billy1111
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I think its great then, as long as its done:
* fairly
* dogs "understand" what they are being askked
* there is no OTT dominance in the handling

Letting dogs relax , enjoy being dogs with dog body language is a good thing.

The thing is there are lots of good trainers on here, maybe its a little much to blow your own trumpet "quite" so soon!
Hey great,you get it .
This is fabulous,

I would never be overly dominant with any dog.
That's not what i do ,I am sure words i have used have been taken out of context.

I help dogs move on. I do use dog body language as well as different and varying techniques.
no individual dog has ever been the same, and they all respond differently to the various methods of my techniques , but it has the results . owners sometimes need.

I am really not big headed and have come across many trainer that want to squash me like i am a bug in fact one trainer explained he was in a click and he had shut down several business before that offended him (lol).
That was three years ago and not only has my client base grown so has my reputation.

I have made some really great and long standing friendships. i am beyond passionate when it comes to dogs , i love dogs being dogs and enjoy watching them hunt , play and interact with one another.
Let me explain Hands on , Hands on means while i am at someones house i aim to help the dog move forward i use different techniques , i do not sit there and write about , i ensure the owners, use these techniques correctly , whit out causing there dog stress , without being dominant , ensuring the dog is happy and moves forward themselves. so what i mean is the hour usually more that i am with a client , my time is spent teaching showing and explaining using these techniques not writing a plan.So by the time i leave i prove to the owner the dog can and will move forward.

I have been asked to explain some of the techniques i use by lucky star but i can't as i explained i go to someone house i watch i learn and judge the dog i use different techniques for different situations and dogs with different attitudes(personalities) and use the dogs feedback to initiate the appropriate technique.
I don't think any owner is brain dead or a numb skull , they just don't take the time to understand there dog .
Dogs develop behaviour problems for a multitude of reasons not just impractical ownership.Yes methods some owners use are unjust , but i prefer to try and help every owner for the dogs sake .
To the last point i didn't realise this was a "click" and i am sorry for offending any trainer on here .In my humble opinion and it will be an unpopular opinion the best trainer a dog can have is its owner.
By Alpha . all i mean is a household has two alphas mum and dad , they lay the rules down , set the boundaries and establish there authority in a normal manner . That is how my household works anyway. Not by being overly dominant or demanding or angry or harsh , but by being . calm suggestive and clear in you decisions and rules (hope all this makes sense .
Thanks for the kindness Emma and Billy xxxxxxxxxx
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:32 PM
i think you are fine!!!! Stay around! theres always someone to try to help on here, & i think we could benefit from your "intuition"

Theres no Clique on here, just knowledgable passionate people......i think you will fit in !!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:36 PM
There are a lot of people on here whose opinion I value. Some are behaviourists. What got up my nose was that your OP said one thing and your website implies another. Why not tell us that you run a behavioural business to start with? You`d have got a less suspicious reaction from me?
Billy1111
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Unfortunately, you chose to post while there were a few threads raging with debate over dominance/pack structure etc. As soon as it was discovered you use the dreaded 'alpha' word on your site, things were bound to get a bit tasty...

For what it's worth, I do believe (If that's the right word...) that pack/family/social group structure is important and that I should hold the alpha male position in our little pack! I do that by acting like I expect to be in charge not by continually inflicting my will on our dog, dishing out punishment when I don't get my own way. I'm guessing that you're well aware of that being how it should work from what you've said subsequent to the probably out of context quote from your site. (The one I possibly too hastily commented on earlier... )

Anyway, I hope that clears up why you've been greeted with what appears to be hostility. It's basically that to some, you represent an outmoded & discredited way of dealing with dogs rather than the (In my opinion.) the latest wishy washy fashionably research. I'm off to dig out my flame retardant suit now.
Thanks rich . No worries , i don't take things personally , people are allowed their opinion .
As with any debate , this is a normal response in people this is why newspapers sell when a canine incident happens .
Another subject i am passionate about , dogs are blamed for being dogs ,owners get away with it ,and people call for a ban because they react with out thinking
If there is a shark bit people don't call for a shark ban or a crocodile bite we dont ban them.In fact you will find that we as a race are far more excepting of these animals acting as animals.
We do not ban people yet we shoot each other and we have the logical though process, the person who pulls the trigger knows it is wrong undersatnds the consequences .

We do not act on an instinct that drives us ,like many dogs . So are we really the master race?
i think we shape up pretty appalling , unfortunately .People never take the time to watch learn or to understand any given situation.
It always someones else fault and unfortunately that's is human nature.
I hope this post makes sense . Do have a great evening and thanks for the post
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »