Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Anyone Camping?

Do any of you take your dogs camping in a caravan?
Any tips? I am hoping to get away in my new (well quite old actually) caravan. I will be taking all three dogs two labs and a medium sized mongrel. Could be heaven or hell.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Max loves going in the caravan with us as he knows he's in for lots of new walks!

Some places charge extra for dogs, some don't, some have a limit to the number of dogs you can take and some don't want dogs full stop, so always check about the dogs before booking. A lot of the places that I have seen want dogs on leads around the site.

We have a 4 berth caravan for 2 adults and Max, the sales person showed us some 2 berths and suggested Max sleep in the awning but we weren't keen on that as we tend to use the caravan when it is colder. I think many dogs do sleep in the awning quite happily but I would also be concerned about them doing a runner in the middle of the night! We have a fixed bed for us and a Max sleeps on the converted bed, which is a bit of a nuisance as when we want to eat, he has to go on our bed. There isn't really a lot of floor space for such a long dog.

Depending on your dogs, and how far away you are from the other vans, you may get a bit of a disturbed night as there's lots of new noises for them to bark at and they hear a lot in the caravan.

We brought the caravan to take Max away on holiday with us. It's great because we get to take him to lots of lovely new places, he's safe and we we have all of his things to hand and aren't worried about where he is going to sleep. We are with the caravan club so tend to use their CL sites (5 vans maximum) as Max isn't overly good with other dogs & is wary of people he doesn't know so it limits the number of hazards!!

Not sure what sort of tips you had in mind but hope that this helps. There are some really experienced caravanners on here who will probably have lots more advice for you.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
how do you go camping in a caravan

Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi

Yes we just got a four birth old avondale van. I cant wait to get away in it and walk for miles. The dogs have no experience of camping and i dont want to make any mistakes at this point and put them off.
I couldnt have them sleeping in the awning either id worry about them all night.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Dogs LOVE caravanning
We've been taking them for 25 years plus Every now and then we talk about getting rid of the van but I'd feel so guilty going off without them.
There aren't really any special things to remember. Just the usual keep them on lead on site, clean up after them and don't go off and leave them to bark and annoy the neighbours, anyway it can get quite hot in the van.
Take lots of towels in case it rains. I got towelling coats from canine concepts.co uk that dries the dogs faster and stops them shaking all over the place.
I don't bother about dog beds, not enough room. I just put down some vet bedding at night and they sort themselves out. I wouldn't leave them in the awning unsupervised. We had a dog that delighted in escaping that way. If you're using a crate then obviously that's different.
Just go and enjoy and the dogs will soon make themselves at home and introduce you to lots of nice people
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
how do you go camping in a caravan

Haha, good one ;o)

We just got back from our first trip camping with Woody. He absolutely LOVED it!! It was ace and our best trip yet (even though we played it safe and stayed 30 minutes from home just in case he chewed through the tent!!).
daneman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-06-2009, 10:14 PM
We lived in 17 ft caravan for a few months with 2 great danes 1 old and 1 pup we had a fixed bed and they had a
seat between them and when the pup got bigger they had a seat each.
they loved looking out the window and over the half door!!!
mick.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:17 PM
We take about a million wind brakes enough to cover the opening of our awning then attach their leads to a screw. Its the bloomin public that cause us trouble to see the dogs thats the worst.
IHG
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-06-2009, 10:37 PM
We can't wait to introduce BeauKita to her 'holiday residence' LOL. We love vanning and thus, so shall she! I will insist! HAHA!.

Seriously though. She is crate trained and sleep downstairs in it at home, so in the van she will sleep in the awning in her crate. She will of course be welcome in the van during the day so she feels part of the action (when we are not out and about). Being an Akita my one worry is the reaction of others. She will never be off lead, is quiet as most Akita's are and as soft as a brush, but they do come with a 'rep' as most large dogs do, beit absolute fear, loathing and panic or an almost uncontrollable urge to cuddle the 'Bear dog'
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by daneman View Post
We lived in 17 ft caravan for a few months with 2 great danes 1 old and 1 pup we had a fixed bed and they had a
seat between them and when the pup got bigger they had a seat each.
they loved looking out the window and over the half door!!!
mick.
One word of warning about the half door. Dale was so pleased to see me walking back from the loos he jumped over it and came to meet me. Until then I'd never thought of a dog doing that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >