Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 11:25 AM
So do i , but if he does then he will be residing under the shed xxdk
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2007, 11:37 AM
DK - If you want to catch it alive here's an idea that came from an old country farmer. Get a glass bowl, bigger the better, a screwdriver with a round handle (It must be round not square or oval) and a small sheet of plywood or perspex then put some peanut butter on the end of the screwdriver and lay it on the sheet, place the bowl on the screwdriver handle so that it just stays on, the rat will go under the rim to the bait and, if the bowl is set right he will move the screwdriver enought to cause the bowl to fall, and bingo you've caught your rat

Whether you then use the bowl for cooking or not is up to you
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
best of luck - one tip - does the rat have any white markings? if so it is more likely that it's not wild... if it's black also that's interesting. Although you do get black rattus norvegicus, it's not that common - and if this is actually a black rat (rattus rattus) that you are dealing with, then they are rather rare, and you may want to call in some wildlife experts to try to relocate her and her babies - as any that are found are very special due to how rare they are - can't remember whether they're protected or not, but i think not

I suspect that if the rat is black with white feet, like the one in the pic you posted, then it's probably a lost pet

xx
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
You're needing to get a cay Dolly, maybe he'll take out BOB as well.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
DK - If you want to catch it alive here's an idea that came from an old country farmer. Get a glass bowl, bigger the better, a screwdriver with a round handle (It must be round not square or oval) and a small sheet of plywood or perspex then put some peanut butter on the end of the screwdriver and lay it on the sheet, place the bowl on the screwdriver handle so that it just stays on, the rat will go under the rim to the bait and, if the bowl is set right he will move the screwdriver enought to cause the bowl to fall, and bingo you've caught your rat

Whether you then use the bowl for cooking or not is up to you
Grat tip ill try that one the rain stops , think ill throw the bowl away though my neigbour has given me some food to put down the whole to hopefully ensure she stays there long enough till i can catch her x xxdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
best of luck - one tip - does the rat have any white markings? if so it is more likely that it's not wild... if it's black also that's interesting. Although you do get black rattus norvegicus, it's not that common - and if this is actually a black rat (rattus rattus) that you are dealing with, then they are rather rare, and you may want to call in some wildlife experts to try to relocate her and her babies - as any that are found are very special due to how rare they are - can't remember whether they're protected or not, but i think not

I suspect that if the rat is black with white feet, like the one in the pic you posted, then it's probably a lost pet

xx
It does belong to my neighbour daughter , her boyfriend bought it for her a while ago ,she has a little white spot under her chin apparently and is extremly nervous , im not suprised being stared at by a boxer as she was today ,so hopefully losos tip will work and Sheree will be reunited with midget (thats her real name ) i prefer BOB 2 xxdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
You're needing to get a cay Dolly, maybe he'll take out BOB as well.
Now there is an interesting thought , doubt id be that lucky though mate xxdk
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
If I was you dk, I would get rid of BOB 1 and keep cute little BOB2 and babies lol. x
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Now there is an interesting thought , doubt id be that lucky though mate xxdk
I'm meant a BIG cat, like a lion or tiger.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2007, 04:50 PM
OMG, I must be the only one who classes them as vermin, we had a problem with rats in the summer, called the pest control out to get rid of them, they put safe containers down with poison in, came back each week to See if they had taken the bate....and they had..........and good riddance to them too.

When I used to keep my horses at a friend's livery yard, many yrs ago, as you can imagine they where a big problem........god I hate those things........I used to make such a racket when I went into the feed or tack room....as you could guarantee there would be one just waiting to jump out at me.....

He (my friend) had a ESP who was the best ratter you could have, I used to send her up tot he tack room first, to root em out.

DK is that the actual rat, or is that a tame one, it looks like it has been set up to have its photo taken

Not a fan of rats, I know people love and keep tame ones, but YUk!!!!!!!! I would run a mile , even from a tame rat.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >