View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 11:20 PM

Are people who just let there dogs breed, in it for the money?

I have never read so many advertisments for 'our pets have now just had there second litter, mum is a cross this & that, dad is a kc reg champ'

or 'family loved dogs no papers but both lovely crosses, have breed a few times and pups are good looking!'

one cross i see going for £500 because the dad was a champion and mum was just a cross!

why do people who say there dog lovers let this happen? or do it on purpose for money? ive never noticed before until i really started looking and its so annoying and upsetting!
barneys mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2006, 11:32 PM
I must say that this year there seem to be a lot of puppys around cross and KC I think that a lot of it is to do with money ---Aileen
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 12:29 AM
I think it also has to do with where you are looking. There are now so many places to advertise pups for free, totally unsavoury websites that are ok to visit for the occasional snoop but I wouldn't ever encourage anyone to perform a search for a pup on there. As more and more people become used to using the internet these web sites are becoming more popular for the back yard breeders to advertise in. Whereas not so long ago they might stick an ad in the local paper or place a card in a shop window they can now just log onto one of these sites and advertise the pups.
As you know, if you are looking for a certain breed it is far better to go to someone that has been recommended to you, or that has their own website that shows what their dogs are like, some history of the breed and how they got started.
I know that accidents can happen, you can be so careful with your inseason bitch but your entire dog manages to break through every door and gate and mates your bitch. But I would bet that most of these people are breeding the pups for what they can get out of it moneywise.
I can certainly tell you that hardly any of us that breed our dogs make any money out of it. It may seem that you suddenly have a pocketful of cash for the pups you have just sold, but you have to take into account the cost of any health checks you have had done. Hip scoring is a must in my breed which requires an anaesthetic so you have little change out of £100 per dog. Then you have the stud fee, the canine herpes jabs, the scan, then theres always the possibility of a caesarian. Once you have the dear little pups you have to increase the mothers food, then once pups are weaned you have to get them on the best possible puppy food, worming syrup, kc registration. The list is endless. If you imagine these people that are advertising these crossbreeds will, at the most, only have the c-section cost and puppy food to pay out for.
As I said, accidents do happen but, in my opinion, the majority of these people are only breeding their pets because they think there is a fast buck to be made.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-11-2006, 02:31 AM
I think it boils down to a lack of understanding and appreciation of the bigger picture.

Which is why so many people spend hours and hours writing articles which they hope are seen by as many people as possible, to make them think that, 'hold on, maybe this isn't really such a good idea'.

Here are a few examples:

Thinking about breeding? Think about this...

And if people still want to go ahead, a bit more reading of..
A question of breeding

Every prospective owner considering buying a pup from a breeder should read this:
Dog Breeders

And anyone considering a dog should read this:
Dogs

If you care enough about dogs, you couldn't do worse than put these links on your own websites... it's your way of doing your best to help spread the word about responsible dog ownership and ethical breeding. This is one of Dogseys 'missions' - to help dogs through education and awareness.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 09:20 AM
It's my feeling that the person who deliberately breeds from their cross breed is at best ignorant (in the true sense of the word).

The person who allows their KC registered dog, whether it be a Champion or not, mate with a cross breed, is unethical. They can only want the money whether that be stud fees or sales fees. This person is much much worse than an ignorant one.

Dawn R.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Are people who just let there dogs breed, in it for the money?

Not sure how to interpret the question, 'people who let there dogs breed' implies accidental mating, failure to keep control of dogs and bitches which is wrong in the eyes of any sensible person .

Other than that people don't 'let their dogs breed' it is a calculated decision involving timed matings.

To me the only reasons to breed are to try to improve on existing dogs, and to provide top quality health tested puppies for those who wish to have a puppy from a specific established breed (and obviously to provide working 'assistance dogs').

I think breeding for any other reasons is unnecessary and sorry to anyone who has one but for me but this includes the new designer breeds, there are enough breeds out there already to cater to every need.

As for the sites with the advertisements mentioned above, it would not cross my mind to go near them for any reason, to visit them increases their legitimacy and number of people visiting.

This doesn't mean I will not help and advise in any way I can those who are unfortunately have a litter as the result of an accidental mating.

Anyone wanting a puppy of a particular breed is best advised to do their research and contact a good breeder who will always be there to help, and be prepared to wait for a puppy. Either that or get a dog from a rescue.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I know that people breed their dogs to make money and if i'm honest, before I knew about breed standards, ethical breeding, breed-specific health problems and the other things that good breeders consider, I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with breeding your dog. I know there are people that really don't care about their dogs and are only interested in making change but I feel that the vast majority are just ignorant to the bigger picture. These people aren't bad people, nor would I say they don't love their dogs. They haven't made an informed decision and as a result, they probably aren't aware that they are adding to the problem of unwanted dogs.
Meg
Supervisor

26-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
I know that people breed their dogs to make money and if i'm honest, before I knew about breed standards, ethical breeding, breed-specific health problems and the other things that good breeders consider, I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with breeding your dog. I know there are people that really don't care about their dogs and are only interested in making change but I feel that the vast majority are just ignorant to the bigger picture. These people aren't bad people, nor would I say they don't love their dogs. They haven't made an informed decision and as a result, they probably aren't aware that they are adding to the problem of unwanted dogs.
Hi Tee you do have some good points there.

However, if I was searching for a puppy I would do my homework regardless of how ill-informed I was about dogs.

If I am buying anything for the house I research it well and look for recommendations so I would be sure to do this with a living creature I intended to have as a companion in my house with my family for maybe 16 +years. The OP mentions £500,I would not part with that amount of money without giving it much thought.

There is plenty of information around these days so no excuse not to do research. If people did their research they would be less likely to get a puppy from just anywhere and without a ready market the people mentioned in the original post who have more than one litter would be less likely to do so.

Edited to add
Originally Posted by from the original post
one cross i see going for £500 because the dad was a champion and mum was just a cross!
...this is a highly dubious statement.
Ask anyone with a champion, it takes a great deal of time/effort and money to get a champion in the first place and no good breeder would dream of letting a Champion dog be studded to just any old bitch let alone a crossbreed.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Here are a few examples:

Thinking about breeding? Think about this...

And if people still want to go ahead, a bit more reading of..
A question of breeding

Every prospective owner considering buying a pup from a breeder should read this:
Dog Breeders

And anyone considering a dog should read this:
Dogs

If you care enough about dogs, you couldn't do worse than put these links on your own websites... it's your way of doing your best to help spread the word about responsible dog ownership and ethical breeding. This is one of Dogseys 'missions' - to help dogs through education and awareness.

Our agility club will be having a website, I`ll have the links put in in our general welfare section
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm torn to be honest, because I understand where you're all coming from and I do agree with it. I own 2 kc registered pedigree dogs and did all the research etc before getting them.
But, I also have Frankie, now whether he was an accidental mating or an intentional one I have no idea. I do know that he is wonderful and everyone who meets him wants one too. Someone said the other day he should have his own breed and I don't disagree. I also grew up surrounded by various crossbreeds and they were all wonderful dogs. Not all accidental matings are sold on, many are given to loving caring homes, not everyone needs or wants a pedigree or the vet bills that accompany many of them either.
Are rescues full of crossbreeds? there are certainly many needing homes but more shocking are the number of pedigree dogs that people have paid a fortune for and discarded.
So as you can see I am torn
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >