Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 02:00 PM

Carpet colour?

Finally sorting out the Hall/landing/stairs Have undercoated the cladding in hallway this is going to be Columbian Coffee(Brown) as will the stair rails the walls have to be wallpapered and that is rich creamy goldish with very little pattern - the carpet I think should be chocolate brown, but is that too much brown together?
The new lights are up though if nothing else!!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 03:09 PM
How bright is the space sweep? ignoring the colours?

If it is dark then making it too dark will give a gloomy feel to it.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Quite abright area - but the more I think about it I do think now that Brown carpet would be too much, definately has to be plain though, oh heck!

Have just scanned this of wallpaper - the darkest paint sample is the one we have.

Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I have just had carpet laid, and I chose a light oatmeal colour that has speckles in it. Not many, just a few. You cant tell whether it is clean or not and hides sin very well. I am not the worlds best houswife! It is a berber carpet. I think that is what its called (the flat looped one anyway). Dont know if that helps or even makes any sense!
My house is quite dark and this seems to do the trick.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Sweep,

Light carpets give the illusion that a space is bigger than it is - darker colours gives the opposite.

Just depends on what you want to achieve but I agree too much brown will be overpowering.

Also to consider if you were planning on selling, lighter flooring does tend to be more appealing to the general audience but this comment can be taken with a pinch of salt, not everyone can be put into the general category

xi
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2005, 07:23 PM
When i gutted my house a few years ago,i chose for my hall/stairs/landing a carpet which is a grey/silver colour (actually called 'Quick silver') and it bounces light around.Its totally manmade (polypropelene) and cleans up very very easily.If memory serves me-it cost me about £400 and feels just like a normal wool twist carpet under barefoot.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
OHHHHH...nice colour but believe me it will show the dog hair up something chronic!! I have a dark blue plain coloured carpet and it looks filthy within 5 minutes of hoovering....even up the stairs and on the landing where no dogs are allowed
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Dont get a dark brown carpet.......you will regret the day you ever laid it........ years a go I had cho brown carpet, it shows up every little thing that drops on it , you will be hoovering it every 5 mins.......specaily as you have cream doggie hairs, If I was you I would go for a rich goldish colour, that will set of your paper......and make your hall seem a lot bigger.........Dont think because you have a lighter carpet it will get dirtier. I have a gold carpet in the hall and I find it very easy to keep clean.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Hhhmm!! the carpet is only for the Stairs and landing upstairs as the hallway is wooden floor, also the dogs dont go upstairs. I am thinking that a creamy colour may be better colour wise though. Decisions decisions!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 09:41 AM
oatmeal or beige would go nice with that wall paper sweep
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >