View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Just went out the back and there, sitting on the doorstep is another one chirping away, no sign of mum, so I'm going to have to keep an eye out for Dave coming home, coz he could well flatten it the way it's moving around on the drive! I can see another sleepless night coming on for me!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Yep, I hate this time of year, for that but thankfully we have had no babies that can't fly in the garden, yet.

Goodluck with them Helena xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm so upset now Just dishing up Dave's dinner, looked out of the kitchen window to the bit of garden at the side of the house, and there's a heap of fledgling feathers lying in a circle on the ground Not a bone in sight though, what on earth would have taken/done that??? Two now out the back one on the decking one behind a big plant pot, I don't hold out much hope round the back there, it's a lot safer down in the big front garden, but that's all gone quiet

I remember seeing a sparrowhawk take out a blackbird at the side of the house there, so maybe that honed in on this little fledgling
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Awww bless the little baby, RIP.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Oh no!!! awww poor baby still that's life I suppose, In a way I hope it was a sparrow hawk and not a bladdy cat just doing it coz he can...if you know what I mean...at least the sparrow hawk will be feeding it's own young
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I now have two on the decking, we can't open the french doors, coz we'll squash one of them, it's sitting right in the corner, and the other one is perched on the water feature. I've taken out a small tin lid of water and they didn't move, even my bright pink dressing gown didn't scare them! Where is mum though, not a sight not a sound

I asked Dave if I should put some wet dog food down, but he said it's nature, let it take it's course You know me though.....
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 07:01 PM
we have had babies sat on benches, fences and the patio floor all night. the mum & dad won't be far away.

I know how you feel though...best leave them to it matey. Dave is right if you go interferring now the parents may not come back at all

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 07:05 PM
okey dokey mate, I'll leave them alone then They seem quite happy but they must be hungry Come to think of it, when I went out there to hang out the washing I could actually hear mum so like you say, she must be around waiting for me to go to bed hey?!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 07:33 PM
OMG, what we've just witnessed whilst watching the tv!!!! I had just peeped out the french doors to see if that little one was still in the corner but it appeared to have gone, so I sat down again. Next minute Dave got up, frantically went to grab the french door keys and said look!!!! A small, grey speckled fronted bird of prey (???? dunno???) had it pinned down on the decking and before we could open the bladdy doors it had picked it up and flown off with it, and that was underneath our overhanging blind too, I couldn't believe the gall of it!! Dave said it's picking them off one by one isn't it...... Feel sick now, but as Dave said at least it wasn't a bladdy cat!!!

I wonder what that bird of prey was, it was very small, too small for a falcon, it wasn't a kestrel coz it was grey?? Any ideas?? It'll be back now for the last one won't it Told you I wasn't going to sleep tonight

Just looked it up, it was a sparrowhawk!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 07:52 PM
awwww

I thought it might have been a sparrow hawk....poor little mite. where is the other one then? See mum & dad will not put themselves at risk, esp a sparrow hawk..sad mate, but as they say...it's nature.

xxxxxx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >