Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2008, 09:37 PM

in need of advice

Hi i'm having my dog on saturday so i will start putting her outside at regular intervals to try to start house training her, my problem starts on monday when i go back to work my garden is enclosed and no other animals can get in so i feel ok putting her out there before she has her injections (she is only 7 weeks old so have to wait a week). The problem is my mum is dogsitting while I'm at work and her garden is not enclosed from other animals and I am worried this will confuse her as she will not be able to go out at my mums to go to do her business until her injections. Also when will she be able to go out afterwards, thanks in advance
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2008, 09:45 PM
if this is her second injection she should be able to go out about six days after. I would suggest maybe paper training while shes at your mums.
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2008, 09:46 PM
do you mean paper training her at home too this will be her 1st injection that she has next week, sorry to sound stupid its my first dog and want to do the best for her
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
House training is difficult anyway as a puppy has no control over its bladder or bowels until arounf 12 weeks old, and they are only reaaly completely reliable when about six months ols, so i would'nt worry about this too much until after her injections. i think you should just paper train her for now and then slowly move the papers up too the door in both houses after her second injection.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lyns View Post
Hi i'm having my dog on saturday so i will start putting her outside at regular intervals to try to start house training her, my problem starts on monday when i go back to work my garden is enclosed and no other animals can get in so i feel ok putting her out there before she has her injections (she is only 7 weeks old so have to wait a week). The problem is my mum is dogsitting while I'm at work and her garden is not enclosed from other animals and I am worried this will confuse her as she will not be able to go out at my mums to go to do her business until her injections. Also when will she be able to go out afterwards, thanks in advance
Hi Lyns
It is important that you go out with your puppy and stay with her when she goes to relieve herself and praise her when she does rather than just putting her out.
She needs to go out first thing in the morning/after food/play/sleep/excitement and about once an hour to empty her tiny bladder.

Can she go out on a lead at your mums house or are there other dogs around? I personally don't like paper training except as a last resort, it adds an extra step to house training . Ask the vet about going out after the vaccination, it is usually about a week after the second one.

Housetraining..
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Hun, when we had Bruce, we were told he was 8 weeks by the rescue, but very small (looked more like 6 weeks). We paper trained him for a short time as he hadn;t been vaccinated, then as he got alittle older (around 10 weeks) we gradually started putting the paper outside by the back door, then further away etc,
Mind you he didn't use it for long as he had the two girls to follow around, so was soon using the garden.
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2008, 03:56 PM
thanks for the advce dont really want to use paper myself as i have been told by friends that its an extra step i think we will have to try it by trial and error i was going to stay with her anyway i just forgot to say silly me