Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
So someone who breeds for people that want pets is a puppy farmer? You learn something new everyday. I thought a puppy farmer was someone who breeds indiscriminately, without a care for the bitch or the puppies' welfare, soley with the aim of making money.

well said!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Guide dogs do it al the time. A substantial number, of their dogs are first gen crosses.

No, I didn't say breeders should be looking to breed something that looks different, it is entirely up to the breeder. IF they are reputable and IF they have sound stock and IF they do all the health checks possible...then why not?
The guide dog association started the practise and found it was impracticle and stopped!

But why would a reputable breeder of pedigree dogs want to produce a cross, apart from to produce something that looks different so they will sell for more money? Again this IMO does not make for ethical breeding again something we differ on.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If you breed to sell the entire litter what exactly is the aim if it isn't for monetary gain? You're not going to do it for nothing are you?
Becky
Interest.
Fun.
Seeing the pleasure people gain from their pup.
Bettering the quality and choice available for people who want a pet.
Because people have asked you to because they admire your dog so much?
Countless reasons.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
The guide dog association started the practise and found it was impracticle and stopped!But why would a reputable breeder of pedigree dogs want to produce a cross, apart from to produce something that looks different so they will sell for more money? Again this IMO does not make for ethical breeding again something we differ on.
Stopped what????
Breeding crosses???
spot
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Interest.
Because people have asked you too because they admire your dog so much?
Countless reasons.
A good reason to breed cross breeds is because someone has asked you to?
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If you breed to sell the entire litter what exactly is the aim if it isn't for monetary gain? You're not going to do it for nothing are you?
Becky
As has already been said, some people just want a pet, some people want a dog to show. If a breeder can breed a litter with the aim of keeping one for the ring to be shown and the selling the others why can't they breed a litter for people that want a nice pet? People are always saying on here that if you breed properly there is very little profit if any, to be made. If this is true and people are breeding healthy animals the proper way, money isn't going to be the reason is it?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
No spot, I wasn't answering you there, Becky asked why breed for the pet market.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree with most of your post Malady - but just had to mention that I actually think that KC registration and breed standard have ruined the border collie - or should I say the people who have bred show dog to show dog, rather than keeping the breed true to their origins and only breeding from collies who are proven working stock dogs.
This is going over old ground Moobli, you have your view, sure but I do find it grating to those that have what you call show lines, I have New zealand lined border collies but they stem back to ISDS lines anyhow from a breeder who has had borders for over 30 years. It's the New Zealand influence that have given them there longer coats and shorter muzzles. Does that mean my dogs are ruined?
I do find it a shame and will not get involved with the argument of the ISDS and the KC. As long as the dogs are healthy and of good temperament than that is all that matters.
As you and I have discussed previously, people who love the collie breed do not all have the facilities to work their dogs. You are able to work yours with your other halfs sheep, which is great and I love to see your pictures. Most people don't have that luxuary and have to find other outlets for their collies as it's kinder to not work the dog and bring out their instinct if you can't be consistent with the working of them.
I respect you sit on the fence of the ISDS as you work your dogs cos that's the main view from the working side and working is your passion and interest. But without actually researching the show lines and where most of them come from, to say they are ruined is sweeping and untrue.
Yes I agree there are dogs that would not do the job, but turning it on it's head and you would know this. Not every collie bred for working is capable of doing the job either by lack of instinct or poor temperament.
I think it's sad if you love a breed, then love all of it. I run my dogs with ISDS lines and working dogs and not one person has made comments regarding their registration or their pedigree.
Bear in mind also, it's not the KC that come up with the breed standards, it's in fact the club or breed councils made up or people in the breed for many years and that includes breeders of working lines.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
No spot, I wasn't answering you there, Backy asked why breed for the pet market.
So its ok to breed for the pet market because someone asked you to?

Not a good enough reason in my book sorry!
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Spot, what about the other reasons Ramble gave? Do you think any of them are 'valid' reasons for breeding for people that want a pet?
Page 11 of 54 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »