View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 11:43 AM
You are a vigilant and responsible owner. But you are only human and accidents happen. You can chalk this one up to experience and consider it a lesson learnt. Don't beat yourself up.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Accidents happen hun.

Don't worry to much about the sheep I'm sure they will be fine. They will be someones sunday roast very soon anyway. I know...but it's true.

Loki on the other hand I can see how worried you were about him getting shot...accidents happen and I hate the idea of shoot first questions later but I know it does happen and I would have felt the same as you.

It's horrible when you find somewhere great to walk and feel you can't go back after you really enjoyed it. If there is quite a gap in the fence maybe inform the farmer perhaps?...Cuz he might like to fix that part of the fence? If it's the only part Loki can get in the farmer might like to know about it because other people may also be unaware and other dogs will get in. If he fixes it you can still walk there
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by myschievous
It's horrible when you find somewhere great to walk and feel you can't go back after you really enjoyed it. If there is quite a gap in the fence maybe inform the farmer perhaps?...Cuz he might like to fix that part of the fence? If it's the only part Loki can get in the farmer might like to know about it because other people may also be unaware and other dogs will get in. If he fixes it you can still walk there
I dont know if its the only gap its the one I assumed Loki went through and could see, but is quite difficult to get too and partcially hidden in gorse, I dont know if the farmer will fix it as there are gaps in his fencing between his two fields which some of the sheep went through when Loki scared them, but he may not be so worried about them as they are just between his two fields and would allow and sheep off his land or other animals onto his land.
The parking wasnt great there and living in cornwall there are lots of walks so perhaps I will just keep exploring new places, just very cautiously this time!!!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi Hannah,
Don't beat yourself up over it,it was an honest mistake any of us could make.Your a good owner and always trying to right by loki,you have learn't from it so pick yourself up,dust yourself down and move on.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
so how do I teach him not to chase sheep now he knows its fun?
I would be tempted to try a remote control spray collar, or you could speak to a trainer who deals with this kind of problem.

Angela Stockdale has an excellent reputation.

http://www.dogpartnership.co.uk/livestock.htm

Why not contact her and see what she suggests.

Good luck.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli
I would be tempted to try a remote control spray collar, or you could speak to a trainer who deals with this kind of problem.

Angela Stockdale has an excellent reputation.

http://www.dogpartnership.co.uk/livestock.htm

Why not contact her and see what she suggests.

Good luck.
Thankyou, Im not going to use a collar I dont think its necessary and am not keen on them (but am not getting into that debate! )
I think I will try to train Loki myself on the lead to ignore sheep, he is not agressive, has never shown any agression towards anything (except maybe moths he likes chasing and eating them :smt078 ) he didnt bark or show any agression he just chased them, I know that is classed as worrying them and can do alot of damage, Im not saying it wasnt unacceptable, but he wasnt trying to catch or kill them, thank god! So I am hoping with lots of on lead desensitisation I might be able to undo some of the damage done, but mainly will just avoid areas where I know sheep are free running or keep him on the lead if im in any doubt there are sheep around, the main two places we walk have no sheep around so at least he will be ok there!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:50 PM
<<<Thankyou, Im not going to use a collar I dont think its necessary and am not keen on them (but am not getting into that debate! ) >>>

Nope, you must use whatever method you think is best for your own dog.

<<I think I will try to train Loki myself on the lead to ignore sheep, he is not agressive, has never shown any agression towards anything>>

When he was chasing sheep, he wasn't showing aggression, he was doing what comes naturally to dogs!

If he is quite a biddable fellow then you probably won't have too many problems training him that sheep are out of bounds. My GSD and BC were trained without the use of a spray collar but just with a stern face and words from me, followed by heaps of praise and treats when they ignored the sheep. Both are very reliable now.

<<So I am hoping with lots of on lead desensitisation I might be able to undo some of the damage done, but mainly will just avoid areas where I know sheep are free running or keep him on the lead if im in any doubt there are sheep around, the main two places we walk have no sheep around so at least he will be ok there!>>>

At least you have the option of walking in sheep free areas Where I walk in rural North Lancashire and Cumbria you can't help but see sheep all the time

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2