View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Right some ideas you lot-concerning an eighty year old lady!

Well..my great gran is eighty next friday (she doesn't act it though!) but still somewhat active and leads a very busy life..never doing "nothing". But she lives i n this huge old house *the original family home!* with just one siamese and a moggy (both in their twenties) as she lost another of her siamese and her persian not to far back this year.
She allways had dogs, cockers many MANY moons ago (before even her kids were twinkles in eyes) then moved onto Rough Collies..and the occasional x breed rescue in between, she lost her last rough collie a month after my g-grandad died (about 12 years ago i think) and has been dogless since..due to the fact she knew she couldn't cope with a large dog by herself and she has a "thing" against little dogs.
Well she was saying the other day she would love to have some envolvement with dogs again..she admits she doubt she could actually "have one" herself as she 1) has off days healthwise and 2) likes to go out and about and do her own thing.
But she still would love to do "something" with dogs...and i wondered if you lot had any ideas of what that "something" could be?
Any ideas-much appreciated!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 11:33 AM
What about fostering? She has so much experience she would have so much to offer. It is only short term until forever homes are found but she would make a real difference in a dogs life.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Thats a point actually...she could do fostering for the golden oldies?!?!
Aswell as her varying canine pals she also worked in a show.working/breeding kennels with Border terriers and English pointers..many moons ago however, but she still has the "knowledge" somewhere!
The fostering of oldies is an idea actually..........
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Is there a rehoming centre nearby? They may appreciate someone to walk a dog or two. Or, the local vets might appreciate a little company for the recuperating dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Petsitting or walking dogs from a local rescue would seem a good idea to me.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I thinkn the Golden Oldies is a good one. Would be better as they are not so active, but great to be wit all the same. And it's very rewarding to help out with rescue animals
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 02:21 PM
she could do the guide dog puppy program. you help lookafter a puppy guide dog a few days a month and when it is about 6m it goes to live with a blind person. and you get time off when you want
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 03:01 PM
If this grand old lady has had experience with Pointers in the past why not ring Pointer Rescue and offer to foster any oldies that come to the rescue. I believe they get quite a few old dogs and it would certainly save an old dog spending time in kennels.

Contact numbers are

Mr & Mrs Dawson
Spalding
Lincs
01652 640566

Mrs B Bugden
Whaddon
Nr Salisbury
01722 710358
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi luke if your gran is quite active and has a thing for small dogs how about her wlking small dogs for rescues in her area ,she could choose when and if ,and if she has a "not so good day"no problem ,sorry not a very original idea but all i can think of at the moment .