Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 04:14 PM

Worried

Hi all,
I'm probably been a bit stupid but i'm a bit worried,as you know we are having our new pup in about 3 weeks
I am just a little concerned if i will love it the same as i love Tyler,I am also concerned as how to introduce them to each other,Tyler is not dog aggressive and very playful and friendly,do we just put her down in th garden and let him out,do we put him on lead??It's been many years since we had two dogs and i can't remember how we did it Help
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 04:16 PM
harvey's mum would be a good person to ask about this
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 05:44 PM
HarveysMum now Trixybird - Tracy to all!!!

To be honest it has been very straight forward for me, the boys took to each other easily and quickly.

They had an initial introduction which was slightly hectic but nice hectic, if you know what I mean. Boys trying to hump each other which is perfectly normal. Travelled home in seperate crates but together.

Then I watched them practically all the time the first day, and it was fine, if either got boisterous I did intervene and told them to be gentle. We played lots all together, and that was fine too.

The only time you may get a problem is meal time, but watch them and be firm.

So after 2 days It truely felt they had been together for much longer....... good luck with your new arrival xx
pm anytime
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Nissanmad I am sure you will grow to love the puppy as much as Tyler

As to introducing the new puppy the usual advice is to remove all toys and anything that can cause an argument, introduce the pair on neutral ground and let them have a good sniff of each other.

Next get someone to play with Tyler while you take the pup in the house first and let it have a look around , then bring Tyler in the house and ignore them both until they have had time to get used to each other
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Thank you both,Mini I will do what you have suggested,Thanks Tracy
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't think you'll love the pup the same as Tyler, but I do think you'll love her every bit as much One of my favourite things about dogs is that they are all so unique. My mum was talking to me about her two westies, which share a grandsire and various relatives down their other lines, and she was saying that Meg (the pup) is just not half as dog-friendly or as good with kids as Ellie. She sounded a wee bit disappointed about it, but as she talked about them, she was in fits of laughter about one thing after another that Meg had been up to, and went on to say how nice it was that Meg was always happy to be picked up and cuddled, which Ellie is OK with, but on her own terms. What's more, however different they are, the pair of them are lovely together, and play so nicely (screaming blue murder about the house )

Sorry to waffle on, but don't expect to feel exactly the same about the pup, and it won't happen immediately, but as you get to know her little habits and quirks, you'll wonder what you ever did without her
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't have anything more to add but i'm sure you'll be fine,bet you can't wait
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Awww...new puppy...awwwww.
You will love it as much, but you won't have as much time for Tyler as you will have to spend time with the pup as well.That isn't a bad thing, you just make sure Tyler gets some quality time each day too ( you'll train the pup seperately etc so he deserves time too.)
I would advise you don't feed them in the same room or at the same time for a good while yet, if there's gouing to be a problemthat's when it could happen and young pups really don't get the 'this is my bowl' thing at all..everything is fair game. Easier just to feed seperately.
Our dogs have always been intorduced to the pups in our kitchen, but it's been done by someone else not us so that may make a difference. The thing to do is just watch and be vigilant and don't let the pup bug Tyler too much and vice versa. It'll be loads of fun and you'll have a ball!!!!!! Can't wait for the pics!!!
Axxxxxxx
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Thank you all
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
its no silly as i thought the same when we got poppy , ella is my babie and we have had her 7 years , and poppy was the first puppy litle one any how , but ella will always have a special place in my heart but i love them both the same but for their diffways , you will feel fine im sure as long is tyler is made a fuss of when the new one comes along he will proberly be fine